Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,261   Posts: 1,680,592   Online: 951
      
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 97
  1. #41
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    10,147
    The AE-1 is one of the few cases where I don't mind going with the stream.

    Back then the price/content ratio was one important factor in deciding on that camera.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,286
    Images
    21
    I would definitely rather have a used AE-1 than a used Big Mac.

    -NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

    The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I would definitely rather have a used AE-1 than a used Big Mac.

    -NT
    Hahaha OMG this literally had me burst out laughing!!

  4. #44
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,201
    Images
    63
    On the battery issue:

    All the Mamiya manual focus medium format cameras/finders that require a battery use the same size battery.

    As do a bunch of electronic dog collars .

    So I would venture that the battery situation for an AE-1 is way better than for a lot of other cameras - particularly digital ones!
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    On the battery issue:

    All the Mamiya manual focus medium format cameras/finders that require a battery use the same size battery.

    As do a bunch of electronic dog collars .

    So I would venture that the battery situation for an AE-1 is way better than for a lot of other cameras - particularly digital ones!
    Very true! The battery door on the other hand... Haha, mine actually is ok, just super glued, they have cheap aftermarket ones, it's canon AE-1's only flaw.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

    Aperture priority is stupid on older models, they only usually go to 1/1000 so you only have 5 stops before you have to worry about camera shake issues...

    Attachment 87886

    Whereas shutter priority on older film models let's you choose the best shutter action for the situation (sports, or if you want semi-blur, vs a still photo where you don't need as much but the subject is closer etc etc etc). While still having a 7 stop (or more) range to play with.
    With aperture priority you can adjust the aperture up and down with your left hand while still cradling the lens and without taking your eye away from the viewfinder. Your right hand remains ready to press the shutter release. If you need a faster shutter speed just open up the aperture and your shutter speed will increase.

    With shutter priority you have to take your right hand out of position to adjust the shutter speed dial on top of the camera unless you own an Olympus.


    I remember a good friend of mine buying a Nikon FE2 right when they came out. Fine camera but I didn't understand the 1/4000 of a second maximum shutter speed. Perfectly useless with the Kodachrome 25 that I used to shoot! Also the fastest speed color film back then was the old version of 400 ASA print film. It was so grainy that you only shot it if you had to. There wasn't any 200 back then so most people shot 100 ASA when they wanted color print film. Notice that I say ASA and not ISO. It hadn't changed just yet.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    St Louis
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    828
    Images
    2
    In the aperture vs shutter priority discussion:
    I find that I would rather be able to control the depth of field in my photographs. Aperture priority has the benefit of keeping the depth of field the same even when the light changes too rapidly for me to compensate by changing shutter speeds as I would need to with an Ae-1.

    I suppose if I was focused on maintaining a shutter speed for blur/no blur, and didnt care about the effects of focal depth in compositions, I would want the canon. The A-1 solves that problem even with its fiddly ergonomics. Mine needs a CLA due to inconsistent shutter speeds.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228

    Which is better Canon AE1 or Nikon FE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    With aperture priority you can adjust the aperture up and down with your left hand while still cradling the lens and without taking your eye away from the viewfinder. Your right hand remains ready to press the shutter release. If you need a faster shutter speed just open up the aperture and your shutter speed will increase.

    With shutter priority you have to take your right hand out of position to adjust the shutter speed dial on top of the camera unless you own an Olympus.


    I remember a good friend of mine buying a Nikon FE2 right when they came out. Fine camera but I didn't understand the 1/4000 of a second maximum shutter speed. Perfectly useless with the Kodachrome 25 that I used to shoot! Also the fastest speed color film back then was the old version of 400 ASA print film. It was so grainy that you only shot it if you had to. There wasn't any 200 back then so most people shot 100 ASA when they wanted color print film. Notice that I say ASA and not ISO. It hadn't changed just yet.
    I suppose it's all in how you shoot. I really mostly use full manual mode all the time, but is usually start with... Well what subject am I working with...? Is it moving, or still? Do I want it to move or blur? And then decide what kind of depth I would like to play with, then balance those and begin shooting, I don't really mess with the shutter speed once I've decided what I want, and stick to mostly 1/60 or 1/125 or 1/250 for almost any circumstance. But during the shoot I usually stick to the chosen shutter speed.

    But that's me...

    Everyone is different, the OP will have to decide what they want.

    They can also choose another camera with both options... Canon or Nikon or Minolta or Pentax... All great affordable cameras...

  9. #49
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,915
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Ae1 is like the Big Mac of burgers. Millions sold.
    I don't think that's a very good analogy, because it intimates that the general public has equally poor taste in healthy nutrition and cameras.
    Ben

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't think that's a very good analogy, because it intimates that the general public has equally poor taste in healthy nutrition and cameras.
    Actually, a depressing number of people believe that anything sold in large enough numbers is good. Same basic type of halfwits who thought Michael Jackson was good because he made lots of money.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin