Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,292   Online: 765

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Ae1 is like the Big Mac of burgers. Millions sold.
    I don't think that's a very good analogy, because it intimates that the general public has equally poor taste in healthy nutrition and cameras.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't think that's a very good analogy, because it intimates that the general public has equally poor taste in healthy nutrition and cameras.
    Actually, a depressing number of people believe that anything sold in large enough numbers is good. Same basic type of halfwits who thought Michael Jackson was good because he made lots of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Actually, a depressing number of people believe that anything sold in large enough numbers is good. Same basic type of halfwits who thought Michael Jackson was good because he made lots of money.
    True, equating popularity with quality in most things only proves how uneducated and undiscerning the public's tastes are.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And some people think that because the ae1 sold in large numbers, it is a great camera.

My perspective is that the ae1 marked the switch over point where cameras became a mass-produced, disposable item, instead of something meant to last for a lifetime with periodic maintenance, and even passed down from one generation to the next. If/when it broke, it was meant to be tossed away. For me, the ae1 marked this change in attitude in cameras. (paradigm-shift) I understand that one can't blame this (first world) change in thinking on a single camera maker or model, but that is the personal association that I have with the ae1. I understand that not everyone feels the same way. That's okay. This is just an attempt at explaining my negative attitude to the ae1.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And some people think that because the ae1 sold in large numbers, it is a great camera.

My perspective is that the ae1 marked the switch over point where cameras became a mass-produced, disposable item, instead of something meant to last for a lifetime with periodic maintenance, and even passed down from one generation to the next. If/when it broke, it was meant to be tossed away. For me, the ae1 marked this change in attitude in cameras. (paradigm-shift) I understand that one can't blame this (first world) change in thinking on a single camera maker or model, but that is the personal association that I have with the ae1. I understand that not everyone feels the same way. That's okay. This is just an attempt at explaining my negative attitude to the ae1.
    My AE-1 was passed down to me...farther to son...

And is lasting with periodic (once every 30 years) maintenance...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My AE-1 was passed down to me...farther to son...

And is lasting with periodic (once every 30 years) maintenance...
    Ah, but remember, you're a special case.

Joking aside, this just goes to show you how individual life experiences shape ones opinions. If my father bequeathed me an ae1, I would think differently about it.

Understand that your view of the ae1 is highly influenced by an emotionally charged, singular, personal experience.

I imagine that there are many people (of a certain age) who think that the ae1 is a great camera because they received one from their parents as a graduation gift and it was their first "serious" camera.
    Last edited by frank; 05-13-2014 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ah, but remember, you're a special case.

Joking aside, this just goes to show you how individual life experiences shape ones opinions. If my father bequeathed me an ae1, I would think differently about it.
    That's sad, I'm sorry you wouldn't appreciate being given a thoughtful gift from your parents. That does tell of how one might have been shaped...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    That's sad, I'm sorry you wouldn't appreciate being given a thoughtful gift from your parents. That does tell of how one might have been shaped...
    I'm not sure how you got that conclusion from my post.
    I acknowledged that a gift from a parent WOULD shape ones view.
    Quite the opposit of your post.

My father's gift to me was his old German Kodak Rettinette, which certainly influenced my preference for mechanical cameras.
    Last edited by frank; 05-13-2014 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm not sure how you got that conclusion from my post.
    I acknowledged that a gift from a parent WOULD shape ones view.
    Quite the opposit of your post.

My father's gift to me was his old German Kodak Rettinette, which certainly influenced my preference for mechanical cameras.
    Oh I see, I thought you were saying you would have been insulted if your dad gave you an AE-1 lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can say anything about the AE-1 but it got a lot of people into photography.

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin