Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,621   Posts: 1,622,846   Online: 1112

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.retrothing.com/2008/04/1976-the-canon.html

"The AE-1 had a lasting legacy in the camera industry, as manufacturers introduced increasingly advanced electronic metering and focusing sytems. In the end, they managed to do away with film completely as cameras became highly specialized imaging computers."

The beginning of the end.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    You can say anything about the AE-1 but it got a lot of people into photography.

Jeff
    You can say that again! When the AE-1 and the later Program went on sale we used to sell tons of them. At Christmas time we would have multiple stacks of them on the floor behind the camera counter and they would sell like hotcakes! They were very reliable and we rarely took back returns due to defects.

My first camera was the AV-1. It was aperture preferred only with no manual mode. I bought it because I was going to the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville Tennessee. My boss had marked it down real cheap because it was a display model.

The camera got me interested in photography but I soon discovered that I wanted a manual mode, After doing a lot of research I bought a Contax 139 on sale.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I suppose it's all in how you shoot. I really mostly use full manual mode all the time, but is usually start with... Well what subject am I working with...? Is it moving, or still? Do I want it to move or blur? And then decide what kind of depth I would like to play with, then balance those and begin shooting, I don't really mess with the shutter speed once I've decided what I want, and stick to mostly 1/60 or 1/125 or 1/250 for almost any circumstance. But during the shoot I usually stick to the chosen shutter speed.

But that's me...

Everyone is different, the OP will have to decide what they want.
    Yeah, there is no one right answer. Everyone has what works for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    And some people think that because the ae1 sold in large numbers, it is a great camera.

My perspective is that the ae1 marked the switch over point where cameras became a mass-produced, disposable item, instead of something meant to last for a lifetime with periodic maintenance, and even passed down from one generation to the next. If/when it broke, it was meant to be tossed away. For me, the ae1 marked this change in attitude in cameras. (paradigm-shift)
    In cultural terms I think that kind of makes sense, but I don't think it actually describes the AE-1 very accurately. As far as I remember, they were still expensive enough that people had them repaired instead of replacing them, and they seem to take periodic service perfectly well. IMHO, the "disposable" aspect didn't come in until the advent of cheapo auto-everything P&S cameras in the 1980s/90s.

I don't have a strong feeling on it personally, but it seems like a reasonable person could argue that the AE-1 is "great" in some sense precisely *because* of the mass-produced aspect. It's sort of the Brownie of its era---a camera that made photography accessible to masses of people, with some compromises. Unlike the Brownie, though, those compromises related to handling and feature set rather than to "performance" in the sense of image quality.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Yeah, there is no one right answer. Everyone has what works for them.
    Of course there is a 'right answer' and here it is:
    Neither. I don't trust anything newer than a Nikkormat FT2; it uses a battery only for the meter, uses cells you can actually get, and uses pre AI lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Of course there is a 'right answer' and here it is:
    Neither. I don't trust anything newer than a Nikkormat FT2; it uses a battery only for the meter, uses cells you can actually get, and uses pre AI lenses.

+1
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you consider the AE-1, you need to think about what was happening in the market when it was introduced.

It was a fully functional SLR, with shutter priority automatic, compatible with an extensive line of high quality lenses, and it was priced low enough to be attractive to a large number of people who would never have considered an SLR before.

In its day, many films were a bit slower (think Kodachrome), so shutter priority automatic was very attractive.

It caused a lot of people to move from Instamatics to SLRs.

And the economies of scale that arose from mass production made it possible.

I sold a lot of them in its day.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    In cultural terms I think that kind of makes sense, but I don't think it actually describes the AE-1 very accurately. As far as I remember, they were still expensive enough that people had them repaired instead of replacing them, and they seem to take periodic service perfectly well. IMHO, the "disposable" aspect didn't come in until the advent of cheapo auto-everything P&S cameras in the 1980s/90s.

I don't have a strong feeling on it personally, but it seems like a reasonable person could argue that the AE-1 is "great" in some sense precisely *because* of the mass-produced aspect. It's sort of the Brownie of its era---a camera that made photography accessible to masses of people, with some compromises. Unlike the Brownie, though, those compromises related to handling and feature set rather than to "performance" in the sense of image quality.

-NT
    Pintos were sold in great numbers (10 million) no one considers them great.The difference is the AE-1 won't explode if it hit in the film door.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Following this thread it seems to me the AE-1 has quite a different reputation in the US than over here.

(The same time the Pentax K-1000, a camera I never heard of back then, is praised there as learner camera, though it even lacks DOF-control.)

Shooter
    35mm
    AE-1P over the AE-1. Has full manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, very simple all-on-one-dial use, very good ergonomics. Drawback is the LCD light meter, but it works pretty well.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin