Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,827   Online: 820

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Which is better Canon AE1 or Nikon FE?

Hey guys,

I was wondering which one was better.. The Canon AE1 or Nikon FE. I know both are great cameras. But does one have slightly better advantage?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They both keep the dark in, you can get terrific lenses for both of them. AFAIK, the only practical difference is if you expect to use the autoexposure: the Canon is shutter-priority, the Nikon aperture-priority.

I don't remember---does the FE require the Nikon lens-registration dance?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I don't remember---does the FE require the Nikon lens-registration dance?

-NT
    Not on the FE, just the F, F2, and some of the Nikkormat models, unless you have the plain prism on your F, or F2 that is.
    Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkor-S 35mm F=2.8
    Gossen Luna Pro F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get the FE (assuming you have Nikon lenses). If you have Canon lenses, get the AE-1 Program, which has exposure lock and a brighter focus screen. It will also be a little newer than the AE-1. But for my money the FE is a lot better camera. Here's a review from everyone's favorite photographer :] You can also use Leica R lenses on the Nikon w/ a cheap adapter, which is always a good thing.

Keep in mind that the Canon lenses mount and focus backwards.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fe.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    everyone is born a Canon person;only the great can overcome it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would opt for the FE. She is an awesome little camera with automation that does not get in your way. You can have aperture priority auto and at any time get to all manual having always available a second thought by the light meters reading.
    Also, in contrast to the FD lenses, F mount lenses can be used to almost any modern Nikon without any adaptations. There are some lenses that need to be modified prior to getting them on a D Nikon, but most and almost all best AI/AI-S lenses fit just like that.
    It also goes the other way around, put a D lens on the FE and still have everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FE, also the FE2. Dislike the sound of the shutter on the AE1, and generally like Aperture priority over Shutter priority. Plus the FE batteries are cheaper.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The major advantage of the FE is any lenses can be used on modern Nikons but Canon changed their mount completely. Personally if I were to go down the Nikon route I'd get an FM or FM2.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    everyone is born a Canon person;only the great can overcome it.
    I'd love a proper Canon like a IV or P

Ian

Shooter
    35mm

difference

It doesn't make any difference. The difference will be in the individual camera you buy -- has it been abused, or is it in fine condition?
    In the year 2000, I bought a Toyota thinking it would be more reliable than a comparable Chevrolet. A relative bought a Chevrolet. Both have 135,000 miles on them now and both have been very reliable.
    Avoid people who tell you the Whatzzit camera is the only one in the world to buy because -- well, because THEY own one.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin