Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,984   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AF and back?

Shooter
    Multi Format

AF and back?

Lifting this from garageboy's by adding two words.

Who switched to Autofocus and BACK?

Besides me?

I find 'em just too large/heavy.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I switched to AF on Canon 1V and then came back. Not because of weight, but because of the fact that Zeiss 15mm beats the daylight out of Canon 14mm.
    This message has no signature. :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm AF-flexible. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm

no auto

I just bought a 60-year-old Rolleiflex. No autofocus, no auto exposure meter, no exposure meter. It does have a lock so when you change the shutter speed it changes the aperture, too (to keep the exposure the same.) Annoying as the devil but there is an override. I used to have the previous model Rollei and it blessedly did not have this nonsense feature. I went autofocus for my newspaper photography job in the early 1990s but I am not desperately in love with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also don't have auto focus and auto expourse. I like it that way!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With the huge, bright WLF on my RB67, I never have wished for auto-focus.

But I have to admit it is quite handy when shooting action subjects with my DSLR.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I just bought a 60-year-old Rolleiflex. No autofocus, no auto exposure meter, no exposure meter. It does have a lock so when you change the shutter speed it changes the aperture, too (to keep the exposure the same.) Annoying as the devil but there is an override. I used to have the previous model Rollei and it blessedly did not have this nonsense feature. I went autofocus for my newspaper photography job in the early 1990s but I am not desperately in love with it.
    That lock is there so you keep the same EV setting if you suddenly decide you need a hazy background and high shutter speed, or vice versa....

Germans trying to make your life simpler. Show some gratitude.

OT -- the few times I've had cameras with autofocus it would focus on the wrong thing. Pain in the butt.

Shooter
    35mm
    My N75 is lighter than any of my MF SLRs.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    That lock is there so you keep the same EV setting if you suddenly decide you need a hazy background and high shutter speed, or vice versa....

Germans trying to make your life simpler. Show some gratitude.

OT -- the few times I've had cameras with autofocus it would focus on the wrong thing. Pain in the butt.
    Don't like shutter locks don't mind wasting a frame
    Don't like the EV locks never use same EV
    Don't like auto focus always wrong
    like blue tack jammed into focus ring
    like an off switch on meter
    But the invention of the devil is a shutter button that is not blocked while the shutter is not armed I don't want a visual indicator I want a first pressure block.

Shooter
    35mm

German

I am of German ancestry myself and I sure don't want Germans making my life easier. Besides, there must be some reason why the French call the Germans "Bosch" which I guess means "thickheads." I personally am not a stubborn person except perhaps in most normal situations, like a Monday or a Friday and the other days of the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin