Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,128   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica 124 EM (35mm Jam-Up?)

I understand how to load 35mm film into the camera using my adapters.

However, after shooting the first shot, the winder will not budge and the film will no longer exit the cassette so much as a millimeter. I've gone as far as opening the camera back and trying to wriggle the film out of the cassette with my fingers, however, the cassette's spindle will not budge.

Once I pull the cassette out of the camera entirely, the film exits the cassette as it should.

I've experienced this with several different brands of cassettes.

Am I missing a step in order to use a 35mm cassette in this camera?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BobClack; 06-11-2014 at 01:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought the 35mm adapter only worked in the Yashica 635 model, which was designed for it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am using two spacers purchased from Lowe's. They're the absolute perfect length to center the cassette as are the end holes to fit the pins. The cassette mounts dead center in the camera.

Are you saying that even if this is so, the EM is not designed to do this? I haven't come across that in the reading and have been thinking that it's just a matter of using the right spacers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How were you planning to rewind the film back into the cassette? The 635 has a rewind feature built in to the upper left corner of the body. I think there is more to adapting than just spacers, there is the pressure plate, mask, and other parts involved.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't think this was a very good idea. Trying to put a Rolleikin in a Rollei that wasn't made for it. Yashica, whatever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rick, I was anticipating rewinding it in the dark bag. The pressure plate doesn't seem to be a problem. The problem is at the cassette's spindle not turning. I'm not sure of the "mask" you're referring to.

Basically, the film winds nicely to the first shot, then will wind no more. Reason? The problem seems to lie at the cassette/spindle end of things.

Or, am I just chasing something that for reasons known to others just isn't going to work?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh, it can work. Like putting a 454 in a Chevy Vega. It CAN be done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film spool puts pressure on a bar inside the camera that activates the counter, and I think it also allows the wind mechanism to operate. Putting spacers in doesn't allow the pressure on the mechanism to operate it. I believe the Mats and 12, 24, and 124 models won't function without a 120 spool installed.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Much obliged Rick! The Yashica has the best glass I own and I was looking forward to doing a b&w project that would include sprocket holes. Your film spool info shows me that I need to do this with a different camera. Thanks again for saving me the "chasing time"!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobClack View Post
    Much obliged Rick! The Yashica has the best glass I own and I was looking forward to doing a b&w project that would include sprocket holes. Your film spool info shows me that I need to do this with a different camera. Thanks again for saving me the "chasing time"!
    Bob:

You could always re-use some 120 backing paper - tape your 35mm film on to it in place of the usual 120.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin