Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,103   Posts: 1,636,534   Online: 953

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well my soldering iron did not have enough wattage to soften the glue.

I've used locktight compounds but never had one as stubborn before.

When I reassemble I use nail lacquer after the screw is home.

If you use high quality tools you have a greater risk of damaging screw heads.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Good screw drivers and downward pressure is a must. Thread locker such as red loctite needs heat to break the bond. A soldering iron held of the head of screw will do it. I actually have one lens I took apart from my super ikonta that has fungus that I can't reach as There is a tiny set screw that is worn away. I tried going in from the back but couldn't reach the lens elements I needed too. I don't think there is any way to get it out as I had to file down a flat head screw driver to get the other 2 out. Really tiny stuff is always a headache.
    Lens need service so I don't think Nikon used Red Loctite. Nikon repairmans don't drill screwheads.
    I found that thread locker is like Blue Loctite >>> medium strength ... > servisable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F4user View Post
    Lens need service so I don't think Nikon used Red Loctite. Nikon repairmans don't drill screwheads.
    I found that thread locker is like Blue Loctite >>> medium strength ... > servisable.
    Yup you are totally correct, I don't think any camera company uses such strong loctite, but some other people who aren't repairmen might unknowingly use it. I use blue loctite for many applications myself if I know that lens has screws that get loose easily through use or vibration, I actually don't even use the liquid, there is a new type of loctite thread tape that I cut a sliver off and wrap, less messy. I've repaired a few lenses where I had to chip off nail polish too. Sometimes only way is to drill on a botched up repair.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Yup you are totally correct, I don't think any camera company uses such strong loctite, but some other people who aren't repairmen might unknowingly use it. I use blue loctite for many applications myself if I know that lens has screws that get loose easily through use or vibration, I actually don't even use the liquid, there is a new type of loctite thread tape that I cut a sliver off and wrap, less messy. I've repaired a few lenses where I had to chip off nail polish too. Sometimes only way is to drill on a botched up repair.
    The rule book is to tighten the screw clean with nail varnish remover and paint on the nail varnish.
    If you need to remove screw remove nail varnish first with nail varnish remover.
    The infinity adjust screws on my E were so treated.
    I use day glow so you can see it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To remove stubborn screws, use a small hammer and rap on the screwdriver while trying to unscrew the screw. (2) Put hot soldering iron on screw to soften the adhesive holding the screw in. Actually, do number 2 before using hammer. Unscrew while the screw is hot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you're going to use Loctite use 222 (purple) low strength. It's made for small stuff that doesn't see a lot of vibration. Use a small dot applied via toothpick for cleanest most efficient results.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin