Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,041   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon Ais lens repairs...

I recently inherited a bunch of Nikon Ais primes from my fater in law. unfortunetly, they all have a touch of fungus in them, and some have stiff focusing rings....
    these include the 85mm 1.4, 24mm 2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4 and the 180mm ED f2.8.
    can anyone recommend a place to get these fixed in australia that isnt ridiculously overpriced? obviously this cost varies on the lens, and amount of work needed etc.. can anyone recommend a place to get this done in australia?

are there service manual available to try and attempt this myself with the cheaper short primes?

kind regards.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    You CAN do this yourself. I'm in the middle of a 50mm right now. Info can be googled up, and use your mind to fill in the blanks. After 2 or 3 you'll have it down pretty well. Buy an ebay Nikkor with scratched glass for cheap, and experiment.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 06-12-2014 at 02:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yea Tom is correct.
    Many of the tools can be improvised
    eg
    first step
    to remove name plate ring you need...
    discarded kitchen rubber glove, scissors - make a doughnut ring in rubber to just fit over name plate ring but clear filter threads and optics
    find plastic pill or ointment box or lid 51 mm outside diam...
    The name plates normally unscrew on filter threads they are not on that tight if the threads are intact.
    Note im badly arthritic so easy for you
    to be continued

and take photos to publish a how to do

Shooter
    Large Format

Thread Spoiler

OK, So I'm this big Nikkor lens expert all of a sudden. I've got my kitchen table strewn with 1970's lenses that I am fighting tooth-and-nail. First of all, Nikon GLUED these $%^&* screws into the rear lens-mount ring, and they are NOT going to come out. There's always 1 or 2 that are going to have to be drilled out and re-tapped. That means hundreds of dollars in drilling and tapping equipment or drive to a jeweler/watchmaker, which means hundreds of dollars in gasoline, then you have to pay the jeweler twice the value of the lens on fleabay (if you're lucky).
    But that's not the worst. The worst is yet to come. ANY LENS AFTER 1974 IS GARBAGE!. That's about the year that the Japanese manufacturers went to the rubber focus grips, which were shrink-wrap applied. These have to be cut off if you expect to fix lubrication issues. Good luck re-gluing them back on after you've cut them to get them off. The ends never will meet up, and he whole job will look like a 4-year-old did it.
    I've been struggling for 8 hours now to get 2 of the 4 rear lens-mount screws out of a 50mm 1.4 SC with beautiful glass apart so I can re-lube the focus. These 2 screws are now so chwewed uo only a drill will get that mount ring off. What have I got now?
    NOTHING. Moral of the story: if you have a nice Nikkor multicoated lens, you've got a big bunch of nothing. From now on, any post Nippon-Kogaku and Vivitar lens goes in the garbage where it belongs. New policy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting. I opened a 50mm 1.4 af-d to clean off the shutter blades and it took maybe 20 minutes. I was surprised by how easy it was.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm

slur

I believe you mean "Japanese," what you used is a racial slur. I have any number of Nikon lenses going back to the 1960s and into the 2010s. They are fine lenses. It is not easily determined how your ineptitude, or your taking on projects you do not have the ability to finish, is the fault of a particcular manufacturer. Small boys and other mean-spirited urchins take mechanical beasts apart and then gripe that they can't play with them any more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't use "racial slurs". It's shorthand, that's all. For Pete's sake I'll be so glad when the racist inquisition is finally over in this country. I'm telling you that these lens mount screws are glued in and no amount of pressure and proper-fitting screwdrivers has budged 2 of the 4 screws. I've opened up countless pieces of camera gear with nary a chewed-up screw, but these are totally impossible. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. This was supposed to be a 30 minute re-lube job and it turned into a nightmare. I ruin very few pieces I work on, but I've sure ruined this one. Sickening.

Shooter
    Large Format
    PS Thanks, snapguy. I had put this solemn warning out to aspiring do-it-yourselfers about the hardcase repair you can bump your head on at any time. Could be your first piece, or 5th, or 50th--never know. And it's heartbreaking. I wrote my post that they would see the angst of even a well-seasoned repairman. Even hoped in the back of my mind someone better than me would chime in and help, bind up and heal my wound. But no. As is the way in this country, we have these little self-appointed thought police sitting behind a billboard on their little motorcycle, ready to light after any speeding "racists". And every time one of you little pieces of fuzz catches an "offender" and brands them, they're ostracised. Now nobody will help me, thanks to you. Wo is me, I guess I just have to go back in my little redneck redstate trailer and get my wife/sister to make me some possum innards for supper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slurs or shorthand aside, I totally get Tom1956's frustration. I am very leery of trying to open up any SLR lens; the automatic aperture causes an extra level of complication that can make things a nightmare. But beyond that, I agree that it's entirely too easy to strip screws that are glued in, and I've personally never had any success with the "just unscrew the name ring with a rubber glove" approach -- doesn't work for me. So I stay away from these lenses or have pros work on them. I guess I'd live with a small amount of fungus rather than try taking them apart, and just live with stiff focus.

But for those with better skills and/or more bravery than I, go for it! Maybe I can ask you to work on my lenses if you have the knack!

Shooter
    35mm

oink

A pig is a pig with or without the lipstick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin