Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,282   Posts: 1,534,902   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help with my Olympus OM-1n

Hello to all the great people on this site and forum, I have passed a lot of time exploring all the suggestions and writings here and have decided that I wouldn't mind asking for some help from the great supporters and aficionados on this website.

I have recently rekindled my love affair with photography from my younger years and have decided to learn the craft the traditional way by means of a 35mm film camera. So after doing some research on what would work for me and ideally what I found appealing, I settled on getting an Olympus OM camera. So I ended up winning an Olympus OM-1n on Ebay for $50 with a 35-75mm zoom lens and let me tell you this camera looks so new and clean it was a shock when I opened the shipping package.

My question is can anybody recommend someone (technician) in Canada / Toronto area that could give this baby a nice CLA or overhaul make sure all is well with it? It definitely needs to have the light seals replaced and check the foam on the prism to have that removed before it becomes an issue and see if the meter works. So would anyone be able to recommend someone that I can trust to work on this camera? Please and thanks any help would be appreciated

Shooter
    35mm

nice

Great camera. Small and lightweight, great big viewfinder and the Olympus glass is first rate. Quiet, too. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does it have to be someone in Canada? Camtech is the place for OMs. First rate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Camtech is in the US is it not? That sounds like it could get really expensive

Shooter
    35mm RF
    replace the light seals yourself.

mouse mat, scissors, double sided pressure sensitive tape, Zippo can, used chop stick, craft knife or
    buy a kit

if the prism view is ok you may be ok as some came without prism foam and many have been serviced already

The lenses are more critical many develop fungal infections...

you need a dev tank, changing bag, thermometer

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=31

Shooter
    35mm
    You can check out his prices at Camtech Photo Services
    He restored my Olympus Pen FT to work like new but he gets really busy so make sure to check.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Hermanson at Camtech has lots of Canadian customers. And the conversion he does to permit use of modern batteries is valuable.

There may be someone in Toronto who has OM servicing experience.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Camtech, zuiko.com is the man. You will have no disappointments. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John at Camtect only does complete overhauls. The camera will be "as good as new."
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for the great help. Much appreciated. How expensive will it be to send it out to Camtech in the US? Any other places or people you guys could recommend? Maybe in Canada?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin