Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,997   Online: 1131

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wy2l View Post
    Nikon FM3A. .
    Jeez, why are these things so expensive?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zilali View Post
    Hi all,

I recently shot four very important films in my canon A-1 which all came out blank (something wrong with the shutter it seems). This is my third A1 to break in a short period of time so I have decided to ditch the A-1 and go for something new. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a camera to suit my needs..

So my preferences are- 1) Something reliable- i.e won't break after a few films. 2) Fast-ish shutter speed (I shoot lots of low depth of field portraits so it would be nice not to have to rely on ND filters when shooting when the aperture is low). 3) Smallish - which I guess excludes a lot of the autofocus cameras. 4) Cost to be less than say $200 (I may be able to increase this)

Can any of you think of any good cameras that fulfil all or most of the above criteria?

thanks
    Have you got some Canon lenses for your A-1? I used to use the old Canon F-1 (not the F1n but the old type). It never went wrong and you could have knocked nails in with it as it was so strong. Very simple to use. No programming. A high quality camera that would let you benefit from your old FD etc. lenses.

RR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would recommend the Nikon F100, which is the best film camera they ever built in my not so humble option [IMNOHO].
    Yeah, but it's not a Blad!

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the FE2 because it has up to and including 1/250 shutter with flash X synchronization.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my way of thinking a perfect camera is a package. Body, lens, winder or drive for older cameras. If you want to move to auto focus N90, F100, Canon EOS 3 or Elan 7, as already mentioned, Pentax PZ 1, late model Minolta 7 or 9. Lens, a set of zooms to start followed by primes if needed, with a flash, and a battery grip for extended shooting. Manual focus, Konica FT-1 motor for FS -1, or the shutter speed preferred exposure but non electronic shutter the T 3, with 28mm, 58 1.8 and 135 3.5, Nikon FE, or FA, Canon T 70 or T 90, set of prime Canon FD lens, Minolta XG 9 or similar with set of primes with a winder.

Of the lot, as you have some canon FD glass I would look up the T 70 or T 90.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm curious about your blank film.
    Is it unexposed but does have the edge markings?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Yeah, but it's not a Blad!
    Let them get taken in. Then the GAS will strike. Besides this is a 35mm thread.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bought a Nikon F5 which fits two of your criteria. Price is however closer to 400 USD and it is by no means "smallish" ;-). But it is an *awsome* camera. Reliable, quick, and well balanced in my hands. The Nikon F100 is an alternative. The late high-quality 35 mm film cameras from the 90's are fantastic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Besides this is a 35mm thread.
    There is always the Xpan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Have you got some Canon lenses for your A-1? I used to use the old Canon F-1 (not the F1n but the old type). It never went wrong and you could have knocked nails in with it as it was so strong. Very simple to use. No programming. A high quality camera that would let you benefit from your old FD etc. lenses.

RR
    +1

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin