Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,804   Online: 827

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first suggestions were the best ones -- FM2N or FE2. Utterly reliable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you've already got Canon glass in FD mounts get a T90. You'll never be sorry.
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    For smallish. For cheap. For ease of use, nikon n80 / f80. It just can't meter with manual lenses.
    Stick with FD? Why not go ae-1p? Newer, cheaper.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would recommend the Nikon F100, which is the best film camera they ever built in my not so humble option [IMNOHO].
    Yes, the F100 is truly a special camera.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I'm curious about your blank film.
    Is it unexposed but does have the edge markings?
    Yes it was a little strange. The film was not exposed at all but did have the edge markings i.e the darker bit where i rolled it on. The film definitely wound on as when I reached 36 exposures it wouldn't shoot any more. I concluded that when shooting the shutter must have not been opening despite making the sound. Either way this is just one of many problems i've had with my A1s. They all seem to suffer from shutter squeak and eventually jam up so I am done with them.

I've considered going for a T90 so I would not have to swap lenses but I have to say it just seems a bit too big and ugly for my liking, much like a lot of the newer autofocus SLRs... yes I know I am very superficial.

Anyway thanks everyone for all of your helpful replies. I think the nikon FM2 or FE2 fulfils all of my criteria I will start looking at some prices.

Somebody mentioned [COLOR=#333333]KEH as a good source for buying second hand cameras. Unfortunately I am from the UK, does anyone know of any good sellers in the UK that are reputable?[/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I nearly forgot ...

Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy most of my stuff from aperture in London or ffordes. You can also go to Grays which is Nikon only, they'll give you 12 months warranty on anything you buy but they are more expensive.

In any case, the FM2 is cheap enough that I consider it ebay material, that's where I got my FM2n and that's where I sold it. Under £100.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I need to use a camera that fits your criteria, I use a Pentax ME.

1. Reliable – I obtained the ME in the photo below from an owner who had dropped it from a high closet shelf. It had a big dent in the prism housing. I did not expect it to work but was surprised that not only did it work but the light meter was even accurate.

2. Fast-ish Shutter Speed – Top shutter speed of 1/1000th second and top flash sync shutter speed of 1/100th second is fast enough for me.

3. Smallish –This is the smallest SLR I own. It is smaller than a Leica M2 rangefinder and smaller than an Olympus OM-1 SLR.

4. Cost less than $200 – One in excellent condition can be found at KEH.com for a lot less than $200.

https://flic.kr/p/9r9fc2

https://flic.kr/p/8XTGJa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax ME 02 sml.JPG   Pentax ME 11 sml.JPG  
    Last edited by narsuitus; 06-20-2014 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    I buy most of my stuff from aperture in London or ffordes. You can also go to Grays which is Nikon only, they'll give you 12 months warranty on anything you buy but they are more expensive.

In any case, the FM2 is cheap enough that I consider it ebay material, that's where I got my FM2n and that's where I sold it. Under £100.
    Confirmed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have done, I would recommend the F-1, F-1n (not New F-1) or T90 if you have FD lenses. Unfortunately none of those meets your size requirement and the F-1s are heavy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin