Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,830   Online: 968

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon FA: Program, Aperture, Speed & Manual modes. Like the Canon A1, but faster as both shutter and flash sync.
    Nikon FE2: Aperture & Manual modes.
    Nikon FM2 or FM2n: Manual mode.

Regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a rock solid small light weight fully mechanical camera that only uses batteries to operate the meter. This is as small an an OM-1 and just as solid.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...fs-fujica.html
    shameless self promo.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys I think I am set on getting a FM2 or FE2 now. Just one question, I also shoot with my nikon 3100 DLSR, if I were to invest in a few AF prime lenses for the FM2 would these transfer over to my D3100 (albeit without the autofocus)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zilali View Post
    Thanks guys I think I am set on getting a FM2 or FE2 now. Just one question, I also shoot with my nikon 3100 DLSR, if I were to invest in a few AF prime lenses for the FM2 would these transfer over to my D3100 (albeit without the autofocus)?
    There are a lot of AF lenses that will work fine on these cameras. The comparable ones all have aperture rings. There are places that you can find compatibility lists.

The typical complaint about using AF lenses on MF cameras is simply the feel, MF lens focus adjustment typically has a smooth gentle resistance that makes focusing manually a pleasure. AF lenses typically have little if any resistance so your fingers don't get the same feedback. May seem like a small thing but it's kinda like the difference between the feel of a toy and a tool. (Both AF and MF lenses can be focused well manually, the quality of the result is not in question.)

The FM2 is a great camera, owned one for a long time and shot a lot with it. The only reason I gave it up was that the automation on the F100 and F5, AF and Flash mostly, has become very important in how I use 35mm cameras.

The FE2 is also a great camera when working properly and actually I prefer it's meter over the FM2 but I've had two FE2s and in both the shutters failed. If I were considering an FE2 again, and needed reliability, I'd be budgeting in and sending the camera off for a CLA before I ever put it into use.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    If I were considering an FE2 again, and needed reliability, I'd be budgeting in and sending the camera off for a CLA before I ever put it into use.
    +1

Shooter
    35mm
    can't really say much about them yet but for very cheap you can try out the Nikon FG. Its a budget camera but if you are moving away from the A1 you may miss the grip. The FA and FG both have them.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A Canon 7e may look bulky because of its shape, but it is actually smaller than an A1.
    The Elan 7 is larger than the A1 by almost a centimeter in every dimension.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markaudacity View Post
    The Elan 7 is larger than the A1 by almost a centimeter in every dimension.
    I checked again, and the Elan 7 is larger.

It is lighter though.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin