Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,058   Online: 977

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help me find my perfect camera please

Hi all,

I recently shot four very important films in my canon A-1 which all came out blank (something wrong with the shutter it seems). This is my third A1 to break in a short period of time so I have decided to ditch the A-1 and go for something new. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a camera to suit my needs..

So my preferences are- 1) Something reliable- i.e won't break after a few films. 2) Fast-ish shutter speed (I shoot lots of low depth of field portraits so it would be nice not to have to rely on ND filters when shooting when the aperture is low). 3) Smallish - which I guess excludes a lot of the autofocus cameras. 4) Cost to be less than say $200 (I may be able to increase this)

Can any of you think of any good cameras that fulfil all or most of the above criteria?

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Nikon FM2 is as reliable as it gets. Or perhaps a late Canon EOS like the EOS 30V / Elan 7N if you want auto-everything.

Shooter
    35mm
    mmm FM2 looks nice, the only draw back is I have never used manual exposure, is this a bit tricky to get right? Ideally if I could get something with aperture priority that would be great.

EoS looks good but it's unfortunately a bit to bulky for my liking.

thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Then, Nikon FE or FE2?
    Or, if you do not mind sarcastic remarks from purists, Nikon EM. Possibly a bit smaller.
    As far as I'm concerned, I would not trade my FM2 for an electronic fantastic auto-something, FE or EM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FE2 offers aperture priority but is otherwise identical to the FM2. Manual exposure is no more tricky, it just takes a bit time as it requires the photographer to set all the parameters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you haven't yet try getting your camera from KEH or someone who will check it out and rate its quality.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zilali View Post
    mmm FM2 looks nice, the only draw back is I have never used manual exposure, is this a bit tricky to get right? Ideally if I could get something with aperture priority that would be great.

EoS looks good but it's unfortunately a bit to bulky for my liking.

thanks
    If you want to get the most out of your camera then you need to learn manual exposure for when you need full control. It may seem tricky at first, just like learning to ride a bicycle, but once you figure it out you will wonder why you thought it was so hard to begin with!

Like mentioned earlier the FE2 would fit your criteria.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Canon 7e may look bulky because of its shape, but it is actually smaller than an A1.

I would recommend an Olympus OM2n.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend the Nikon F100, which is the best film camera they ever built in my not so humble option [IMNOHO].
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon FM3A. Very simple, sounds like a swiss watch. An absolute joy, lets one focus (ignore the put) in the image and not the technology.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin