Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,692   Online: 735

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had a student who had one of these cameras, who took it on a trip abroad. When he got back all the films he took were blank. For this reason alone I would never use this type of camera.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All my overseas films were correctly exposed in my A-type camera but all Kodachrome films were deliberately destroyed by Kodak after processing.

So we all have something to warn against.

The function of a leaf shutter is easy to check. But also a focal plane shutter can be checked. Bringing back a whole bunch of unexposed films due to defect shutter make me question the skills of that photographer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think its fair to blame this issue on the photographer. The camera didn't do what it was told to do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    If you have edge markings, the film was apparently developed properly. If you opened the back of the camera, and when you fire the shutter you do not see light when it's pointed at a light source, it's either that the mirror is stuck down, or the shutter is malfunctioning (even if you see the shutter moving, you have to see light when you fire it, assuming the mirror is going up). If the shutter speeds are all the same even when you change speeds, the shutter is malfunctioning, even if your mirror is going up and down.

You basically need another camera. Getting yours fixed is not worth what another one costs. I would buy from KEH, as they guarantee the cameras and will take a return if there's issues.
    Sorry, but I disagree. Get an estimate. If the cause is a malfunctioning second curtain magnet, it is probably just dirty or the second curtain latch needs to be adjusted. Neither repair should be expensive. There are other possibilities, but those which I have mentioned are the most common. BTW,I have repaired Canon A series cameras for about 25 years.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    This could be an electronic fault by giving the second curtain no delay.
    Or a mechanical one by not cocking the second curtain.
    Or by not cocking the first curtain.

If those strips (out of sight) emerging from the curtain are torn it cannot be drawn back on its drum. Typically such a curtain would have less tension when static.
    As camtec indicated, a dirty magnet would not hold the curtain after cocking. The effect would be the same as not cocking at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    This is the problem with the electronic shutter cameras at this late date. Mechanical watches fail occasionally., landfills are full of electronic ones. Somebody would have to pay me to take an electronic camera off their hands. Except for a Pentax ES maybe. And even that is dependent on the circuit board under the bottom cover, regardless of the capacitor under the right front cover. Any Canon other than an FTb or F1 is junk, really (IMO).
    I've put thousands of rolls through Canon A series cameras. The only time I've ever had one serviced was when my AE-1 Program developed a light leak due to a loose screw.

My main camera these days is an EOS-1 purchased new in 1989. It probably has close to 200,000 shutter cycles and still works like new. That is the only EOS body I have ever had serviced (sent it into CPS to replace the top bezel which had a hairline crack after a ten-foot fall onto concrete--report back from CPS was no other damage).

So, Canon cameras with electronic shutters work for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not that hard to diagnose- put the shutter on 1s, open the back, fire shutter, does it stay open? If yes, then probably ok.
    Mechanical shutters fail too- I have a box of bad Contaflexes with gummed up and slow shutters. 1/2000s? Maybe 1/1200 on a good day after 20 years

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eng1er View Post
    I've put thousands of rolls through Canon A series cameras. The only time I've ever had one serviced was when my AE-1 Program developed a light leak due to a loose screw.

My main camera these days is an EOS-1 purchased new in 1989. It probably has close to 200,000 shutter cycles and still works like new. That is the only EOS body I have ever had serviced (sent it into CPS to replace the top bezel which had a hairline crack after a ten-foot fall onto concrete--report back from CPS was no other damage).

So, Canon cameras with electronic shutters work for me.
    I've had an A1 for more than twenty five years and because I hate it it's had little use and is practically mint, the bloody thing just keeps working and won't pack up, I tried to give it to my niece last year but she gave me it back to me because she couldn't afford the film and processing and they sell for so little on the open market it's not worth the hassle of selling it.
    Ben

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markaudacity View Post
    I don't think its fair to blame this issue on the photographer. The camera didn't do what it was told to do.
    I agree.He already admitted to needing help. why question his skill?We are all learning.THis is a case of a busted shutter anyway. Time to get a Nikon FM instead!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I blamed that student of Cliveh or in general any photographer who is busy with a lot of unprocessed film and does not check his camera inbetween, not Zilali, who started this thread.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin