Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,563   Online: 785

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People forget to take off the lens cap, to load the film,... all sort of things, not camera make/model/type related.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My father has a fun story about an irate customer who was incredibly upset about the useless, out of focus photos he got from his then new Kodak Duaflex (I think) camera (looks a bit like a TLR).

All of his shots were just out of focus blurs - most likely because he was looking into the viewfinder lens at the front, rather than down on to the viewfinder screen.

Here is an image of a Duaflex

Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Did he ask someone for recommendation as to which camera to buy?
    No,he had heard that Leica were the best and that's what he wanted to buy.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Easy, in a rangefinder camera there's no indication in the combined rangefinder/ viewfinder window that the lens is covered.

I was talking about SLRs like the AE-1
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Did he ask someone for recommendation as to which camera to buy?
    Sometimes people just can't be convinced. That's why the fellow with the Ferrari has to have the thing serviced all the time.
    55mph=fouls everything up in the engine.

They come in the store and say I have to have the ___________ because it's the best. My friend says so.
    Their friend can't be wrong can they?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    I was talking about SLRs like the AE-1
    I was paid to sell cameras and my store making a profit if the customer came in and insisted on buying an expensive Leica, I wasn't going to say to him "oh no what you need is a Canon AE1".
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are the guy with all that sales experience. You gained a fine profit (I guess) for the shop, but ended with a disappointed customer, who might blame not himself but the shop and spread that news.

The same time, in this case, I don't think selling him a AE-1 and making him bringing home all those nice photos would end up in selling him later a high-end kit.
    And I undestand telling a possible buyer out of an idea he got can be tricky and might end him buying nothing at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was commenting on how people forget to take the lens cap off slrs..I've owned range finders and yes its easy to forget on them.

The customer is always right, if they want to drop their money on something expensive so be it.

who might blame not himself but the shop and spread that news.
    That's a risk you take with any customer.The buying public are fickle bunch.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    You are the guy with all that sales experience. You gained a fine profit (I guess) for the shop, but ended with a disappointed customer, who might blame not himself but the shop and spread that news.

The same time, in this case, I don't think selling him a AE-1 and making him bringing home all those nice photos would end up in selling him later a high-end kit.
    And
    I undestand telling a possible buyer out of an idea he got can be tricky and might end him buying nothing at all.
    I worked in photographic retailing for nearly 25 years and have seen it all, if as you say a customer has decided to buy a premium product and he feels you are trying to fob him off with something cheaper and inferior for whatever reason is the quickest way I know to get him to turn round and walk out.
    My conscience is clear the customer wanted to buy a Leica and I sold him what he wanted, the camera came factory sealed with a full instruction manual in the box. All this happened more than 20 years ago and is now just water under the bridge.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-25-2014 at 06:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I worked in photographic retailing for nearly 25 years and have seen it all, if as you say a customer has decided to buy a premium product and he feels you are trying to fob him off with something cheaper and inferior for whatever reason is the quickest way I know to get him to turn round and walk out.
    My conscience is clear the customer wanted to buy a Leica and I sold him what he wanted, the camera came factory sealed with a full instruction manual in the box. All this happened more than 20 years ago and is now just water under the bridge.
    I do agree to sell what the customer wanted. I would be upset if the salesperson tells me to buy a different camera than the one I ask for. I fully believe that one should do his/her own research and make his/her own decision on which to buy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin