Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,035   Online: 876

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Blank film in Canon A1

Hi I have a problem with my A1 and was wondering if anyone could help me.

So bought a canon A1 of ebay and shot 3 films with it which all came out completely blank. I am certain the films were loaded correctly as the camera stopped firing after 36 exposures, and also when I loaded the film the rewind knob turned when I advanced the film. I've just tried opening the back and shooting at a low shutter speed to see what happened but I found that changing the shutter speed doesn't seem to make a difference to how fast the shutter goes, (if it is going) if that makes sense.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Shooter
    35mm

battery

When you shot off those frames did the shutter make a sound, like a click or something? Do you have a fresh battery in the camera? Without a battery it is a doorstop. It's a fie, classic camera.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first guess would be the shutter release magnets. There is an issue of sticking.

Shooter
    35mm
    yes there is the normal clunking shutter sound when I fire the camera. Also I assume the battery is OK as the LED metering lights up fine and looks OK from the battery check button

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    1. with the back open cock and release the shutter while looking at the film plane opening. You should see the mirror go up and light coming through the lens. Slow shutter speeds work best.
    2. if the camera will not fire with the back open close it and remove the lens. Cock and release the shutter on a slow speed, the mirror should go up and the shutter open so that you see the pressure plate on the camera back.
    If you cannot see light through the lens or the pressure plate looking through the camera front with the back closed then the shutter is not operating.
    You may only be hearing the mirror operate.
    DO NOT put any object into the film plane opening or the lens opening with the lens removed as you may damage the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Who developed the film, and are there any edge markings visible?

Changing the shutter speed won't affect how fast the curtains travel, but only the length of time between the release of the first and second curtains.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    (1) Open camera back and set B on shutter speed dial. (2) While looking through the film plane opening, release the shutter and keep finger on release button to hold the shutter open. If you can't see through the camera, the curtains may have crossed the opening together in which case I would suspect a faulty second curtain magnet or latch.
    I have seen faulty second curtain latches cause the problem you described.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is the problem with the electronic shutter cameras at this late date. Mechanical watches fail occasionally., landfills are full of electronic ones. Somebody would have to pay me to take an electronic camera off their hands. Except for a Pentax ES maybe. And even that is dependent on the circuit board under the bottom cover, regardless of the capacitor under the right front cover. Any Canon other than an FTb or F1 is junk, really (IMO).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    This is the problem with the electronic shutter cameras at this late date. Mechanical watches fail occasionally., landfills are full of electronic ones. Somebody would have to pay me to take an electronic camera off their hands. Except for a Pentax ES maybe. And even that is dependent on the circuit board under the bottom cover, regardless of the capacitor under the right front cover. Any Canon other than an FTb or F1 is junk, really (IMO).
    That might be a bit of an overkill. I shoot with a Canon 1V and could not have been happier. I guess it depends on how much you work the camera. A camera sitting on the shelf for long time WILL have a sticky shutter and will require a CLA.
    This message has no signature. :)

Shooter
    35mm
    THanks for the replies.

So when I open the back and fire the shutter the black curtain moves very quickly as it clicks but I cannot see any light going through. When I slow the shutter speed down it is exactly the same, the curtain still moves quickly. When I take off the lens and look at mirror as I fire, it moves up and down quickly but again I cannot see any light going through. Putting it on Bulb mode and holding the shutter exactly the same thing happens

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin