Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,121   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Front-focus with Leica M3 & 50 cron

Hey everyone! So I finally got my paws on a Leica M3 and a 50 f/2 Summicron version 3. I totally love this set up but I'm running into some nasty front-focusing issues across the range of focus. It seems I have better focus towards minimum distances but I still can't nail a tack sharp exposure. The 50 cron just arrived from a CLA so I'm already stretched on money.

I tested the rangefinder at infinity on some sailboats towards the horizon and it appeared to be properly aligned. It is a pretty foggy afternoon in Chicago though...

Is there any other tests I can do to confirm if it's the lens or rangefinder? I found a lil' test on this site but I'm not sure if it's legit. http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html (Last photo)

One more thing. I hear the M3 is pretty easy to adjust. Anyone try adjusting their horizontal alignment? I'm tempted to do this myself to save money and time.

Thanks!

P.S. I brought samples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11A.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	896.8 KB 
ID:	90032

Name:	8A-s.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	90033

Name:	15A-s.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	90034

Name:	14A-s.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	90035

Shooter
    35mm
    Difficult to believe it's the lens. Front focus, or focus shift as it is otherwise known, occurs on some wide aperture lenses (typically f1.4 and under) when they are stopped down slightly, usually showing around f2.8 to f4. A misaligned rangefinder is much more likely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply. I really hope it's the RF and not the lens.. Sherry Krauter also mentioned it being more likely the RF being at fault. I do have some additional photos taken stopped down and they show slight signs of focus shift.

The lens and patch hits on infinity so it isn't back-focusing. From what I've read, that means I'll need to adjust the horizontal eccentric screw clockwise.

If I were to do this indoors, does anyone know if this diagram actually works?

Name:	rangefinder.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	90041

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rangefinders on Leicas do go out of adjustment over time. I've had to have every one I have owned adjusted after I bought it. Every one. Lenses for RF camera can also go out of adjustment but this is less common than the camera going out.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see. Was it pricey to have your RF adjusted? I'm leaning towards sending it out since every tool I own doesn't catch well with the horizontal RF screw. :/ About to go back out and test infinity again since the fog has lifted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don Goldberg charged me about $100. Was worth it; he is the only Leica repairman I have tried who was able to get mine focusing absolutely perfect, not even a millimeter off.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Don Goldberg charged me about $100. Was worth it; he is the only Leica repairman I have tried who was able to get mine focusing absolutely perfect, not even a millimeter off.
    Youxin Ye just referred me to DAG. He said Don has better equipment for obtaining precise focus calibration so I'll probably have to go that route and give him a holler. I've heard nothing but good things about DAG..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The registraction plate distance needs to be correct and parrallel to film gate.
    Then the two screws on the rangefinder arm (eccentrics) need to be set together at 1, 10 meters and infinity the two screws interact.
    If the rfdr has been damaged it may need top off first.
    It is easy to reset infinity but leave the other two off.
    But the lens may be the problem instead... they also have many adjustments...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don is very, very busy. Sometimes it can take awhile to get things back.

Call him first, let him know what you want, then get a time quote on how long it will take him to do the work.

Just sayin...
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If the rangefinder is aligned at infinity it is either completely messed up or the lens is way off.

I know the first version Summicron's lens block unscrews from the focusing helix, so if that is the case for your lens, someone might have put a shim in there that shouldn't be. You may want to check that out.

Don't screw around with the rangefinder mechanism yourself. If you aren't sure what to do, send it to Don or Sherry Krauter (sp?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin