Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,969   Posts: 1,523,460   Online: 953

Shooter
    35mm

How to use T90 on manual mode? Exposure scale not working?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has experience using a Canon T90 on full manual mode? I'm just trying to figure this out... from the instruction manual I see that the lens needs to be taken off "A" setting, then the camera mode needs to be set to Tv. Then you just set shutter using the camera dial, and aperture using the lens ring.

But I think I must have another setting wrong because the when I half-press the shutter while looking through the viewfinder, the exposure scale on the right doesn't change at all, no matter what settings I use. The scale just shows the remaining frame counter, all the time. The aperture number will flash, meaning that the exposure is incorrect, but this isn't shown on the exposure scale. How do I get that scale working correctly?

The reason I want to use the scale is so I can see exactly how many stops over/under it's showing, then I make a decision based on that. That's just how I'm used to shooting these days, I use manual mode on my M8 for everything, hoping I could do the same on the T90. But without the scale and only a simple "incorrect exposure" warning it's not very useful.

I'm pretty sure I did have it set correctly when I was playing just before (minus the exp. scale), but now it's just doing weird stuff. For instance I have the lens set on f/5.6 and change the shutter speed, but when I change the shutter speed the viewfinder display shows a different aperture as well?? Shouldn't that show what is set on the lens? I don't have Safety Shift activated either.

Update: I changed the metering mode from center-weighted to spot and now I have the proper exposure scale.
    But I think something still isn't right because the viewfinder still isn't showing the aperture based on the lens setting?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO Canons A series cameras work in a similar manner. Not intuitive. Take 'em off auto and nothing(to me) seems to make sense.
    The T90 may have some of same weird operation quirks.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe you can google it and/or get a manual. BTW I have a F-1 and a FTb, both pure manual.

Jeff

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Manual Operation of T-90:

-) set exposure time

-) the viewfinder then indicates the appropriate aperture, NOT the aperture you have set

-) in the all-manual mode the camera does NOT yield match-needle like operation as some much simpler cameras do

Alternative:

-) set camera to AE

-) set meter to spot-metering

-) use the exposure deviation buttons to set set deviation in the viewfinder at the right side +/- scale

-) by this you can "place" luminances exactly as with a Gossen Profisix meter

-) this yields more variation and accuracy than the typical match-needle camera, you only have to get used to not to control exposure via aperture ring or exposere time dial, but via those two buttons

The T-90 definitely is a camera one has to study the manual thoroughly.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-25-2014 at 01:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That intuitive metering was the reason for me to choose this camera.

One can use this automated camera as a manual camera with that Gossen meter in hand.

(The greatest lack of this camera though is lacking an adjustable diopter.)
    Last edited by AgX; 06-25-2014 at 01:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I put my T90 on manual I use a hand held meter, I find it much easier and less messy than the cameras exposure system in manual.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This seems to have carried over to the EOS 650/620/630 with their idiot O oo C manual "metering". Canon really didn't want you shooting on manual once they started making cameras with e-dials.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    When I put my T90 on manual I use a hand held meter, I find it much easier and less messy than the cameras exposure system in manual.
    But just that exposure system (in AE-mode as described) gives you the chance to expose the same way as you would do with a high-end exterior meter.

A Profisix built into a camera so to say.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the comments. I do have the instruction/operation manual, but I think AgX has it right - you really need to study this manual rather than just read it!!

AgX - that's a big help. At least now I know that the viewfinder shows recommended aperture... I can work with that! Cheers!
    I just tried out those exposure deviation buttons really quick as well... that seems like quite a handy method to use. I'll have to explore this further!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin