Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,532   Posts: 1,598,668   Online: 745

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try a good pencil eraser to clean the contacts before you go buying cleaning fluid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera was turned off overnight (with the batteries inside). Turned it on and it worked fine. Turned it off, and back on, and it again stopped working.

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the camera itself. Time to contact TOCAD.
    Last edited by pete_mod; 06-25-2014 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's the lens. Wish you could try to mount another.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    I think it's the lens. Wish you could try to mount another.
    I am going to meet a fellow G2 owner in the next day or two and try out his lenses... I will post what I find out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FIXED... (sort of)

I discovered that the camera will turn on fine (with the lens attached) when I slowly turn the power switch. If I turn it fast (regular speed) the camera will be inoperable, but when I try again immediately after by turning it slowly it works fine. After a few successful 'slow' power ups it will even work when I flick it on quickly.

I will use it this way until I can test it with another lens. At least it works!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I met a fellow G2 owner about an hour ago. His 45mm and 90mm lenses worked on my body just fine, and my 35-70mm worked on his body just fine. However, my lens and body combo did not work fine. The only possible conclusion is that my contacts are dirty and causing the body to go haywire when the lens is mounted. I will clean the contacts and hopefully that should clear things up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sounds like the contacts are far from "mint." It is possible that you need to clean the backside of the contacts but that's just a guess.

With cameras that rely heavily on electronics, its sometimes just too difficult to diagnosis these types of issues.

The fact that other lenses work fine on your camera and your lens works fine on a different body makes it even more confusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Sounds like the contacts are far from "mint." It is possible that you need to clean the backside of the contacts but that's just a guess.

With cameras that rely heavily on electronics, its sometimes just too difficult to diagnosis these types of issues.

The fact that other lenses work fine on your camera and your lens works fine on a different body makes it even more confusing.
    Yeah, my biggest fear was that it was a micro processor in the body on the fritz. The contacts look very clean to the naked eye, but I guess there could be microscopic oxidization preventing a good connection. There is also a possibility however that my body just doesn't 'like' the 35-70mm and there is a glitch when identifying the lens. My father owned an electronics repair shop, and once aged electronics start failing... that's pretty much it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you have one of those rare G2 bodies with a silver sticker inside the film chamber. ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AHHHH...

Well it doesn't seem to be the contacts. I cleaned them with Deoxit and it is still acting up. Furthermore, now the shutter doesn't want to fire... it will focus and advance the film, but the shutter won't fire (it did so after I loaded a fresh roll of film, just prior to cleaning the contacts). And the shutter won't fire regardless of whether the lens is on or not.

Hopefully I can get this fixed for a reasonable price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin