Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 761

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Southern California, United States of America
    Shooter
    35mm

Just bought my first Contax 35mm SLR (finally after years of waiting!)

My Contax RX, mint in the box, is on its way from Japan. I'm highly looking forward to shooting with this camera, Contax cameras have a design that speaks to me in volumes. Even their product manual speak my language. I've been lusting after the Contax N Digital for years but finally decided to try one of the film cameras I've always wanted too.

It will be interesting to see if the RX can make me smile like my Minolta Maxxum 9 does . Since it's manual focus only, it will engage me a bit more into the photography process. Lots of good looking handling points and interesting features on the RX.

Looking forward to the first roll of film.

Carl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats! RX was my first Contax SLR too. I use my RTSII a bit more now but not because I dislike the RX. What lenses do you plan? My fav is the 85/1.4.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh and RUSH is awesome, first saw them on their Permanent Waves tour....
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you enjoy it very much!

Jeff

Southern California, United States of America
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Richard . First plan is to buy my friends CZ 50 f/1.4... after that, a wide, then the 85mm in that order . And yes I agree, Rush is awesome. I saw them on the last tour here in So CAL- still sound fantastic!

Much appreciated Jeff, I hope so too. I have an affinity for manual controls and think it should fit the bill.

Carl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 159mm I use regularly and I agree I like the design and layout of the controls although I don't think they would appeal to everyone.

I especially like the simple, quick exposure comp dial.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's funny, I find a lot of software developers and photographers like RUSH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't overpay for the 50/1.4 Planar. I had one and also came across a 1.7 Planar at a good price. Sold the 1.4 because others are paying insane amounts for them. 1.7 as good or better, albeit slightly slower, but really only slightly, some say sharper at f/2, 2.8, and 4. If you can ever find a 100-300 Vario-Sonnar for a good price and you like long zooms grab it. It may just be one of the sharpest lenses, prime or zoom, I've ever used. Had the 80-200 for a short spell, nothing special. I also have the rare 35/2.8 PC-Distagon, another sharp as heck marvel. Do not have any of the really wides for some reason, mostly shoot 28mm perspective and wider with my RF's, Hasselblad 40/4 Distagon, or my Rolleiwide. I do have and love the CZ 135/2.8 and 180/2.8. Gorgeous primes.

Have not seen RUSH in many years. I was obsessed with them in HS and college. Saw their Moving Pictures tour also and then later the tours around Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Presto, Roll the Bones and Counterparts. Times have changed. I guess I have not seen them since before I traveled the world for 5 years, then settled down and got married, had two kids, oldest is almost 13 now...sigh...a different world that was.....still I have MANY more cameras than I did back then and an awesome family to shoot with all this gear! :-)
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    My Contax RX, mint in the box, is on its way from Japan. I'm highly looking forward to shooting with this camera, Contax cameras have a design that speaks to me in volumes. Even their product manual speak my language. I've been lusting after the Contax N Digital for years but finally decided to try one of the film cameras I've always wanted too.

It will be interesting to see if the RX can make me smile like my Minolta Maxxum 9 does . Since it's manual focus only, it will engage me a bit more into the photography process. Lots of good looking handling points and interesting features on the RX.

Looking forward to the first roll of film.

Carl

Can you say why you settled on a Contax RX? I'm interested in Contax SLR's but dont know which model I would like best, or which ones are still reliable at this age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the Contax series of cameras but I was invested in Nikon for 35mm for the longest time. Currently, I'm into MF now so I've never jumped on the Contax bandwagon.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin