Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,855   Posts: 1,582,942   Online: 993

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss glass on Nikon SLR's

Anyone here shoot Nikon SLR's using Zeiss lenses? If yes, do you have a gallery that shows off these combo's? I'm interested in possibly picking up some Zeiss lenses for my FM2, rather than abandon Nikon for a Contax SLR. I'm not sure which way is best but keeping my Nikon FM2 would at least be the simplest way, if not the best.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've just bought my FM2 a series E...

GAS is bad, hope better soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have once seen in live Zeiss 100mm macro. It is huge and heavy beast! I think you will not see so much of those Zeiss lenses in nikon mount because the price is high, and old nikkor lenses are equally good (more - less).

The guy who had this macro lens was a Leica fun as well - he told me that this Zeiss is better than any nikkor he had.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for old Nikkor glass;low cost and beautifully madeas well as high quality.I still use and won't part with my 1970s Nikkors
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When a friend once showed me images he made using Zeiss lens on Nikon 35mm SLR, I couldn't really see much of a difference. But I was very impressed by the cost, relative rarity, and prestige associated with the Zeiss glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I invested in several Zeiss ZFs for my F3 and one by one I sold most of them since they didn't do anything better than the plain AF Nikkors I was using. In some cases, they weren't as good. The ones I still have are the 35mm f/2 and 21mm f/2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss glass on Nikon SLR's

I was all Nikon in the 80's with an FE2 and FM2, mostly zooms and a 105/4 Micro. Then after using a Contax G2 kit for a while and being blown away with the G Zeiss lenses I sold off my Nikon kits and went Contax SLR with an RX at first. Have since added RTS, RTSII and an AX bodies all of which were not acquired based in need but because they were found at screaming bargains ($75, $115, $275). I have a nice collection of terrific earlier Zeiss glass from the 90's and it's all amazing. I was happy.

Then seeing an FM2 for $75 one day a few years ago and then cheap F3 and F2 ($75, $125), and then a few months ago a beater but working FE2 ($20 shipped) I once again dove back into Nikon.

I still have all the Contax kits too. With Nikon this time though I've gone with mostly classic old "F" primes from the 60's and early 70's. Love the signature I get with those classic lens on B&W which is 95% of my shooting now. The Contax lenses were built up when I mostly shot color slides. I have not used the modern new Zeiss glass except for a 35/2 Biogon for Leica mount which I much prefer over the 35/2 Planar for my G2.

As others have mentioned I doubt you'll see a huge difference from modern Nikon to Zeiss but many including myself love the Zeiss signature so you cannot go wrong either.

Frankly I think you got GAS bad and simply want more lenses!! :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    I was all Nikon in the 80's with an FE2 and FM2, mostly zooms and a 105/4 Micro. Then after using a Contax G2 kit for a while and being blown away with the G Zeiss lenses I sold off my Nikon kits and went Contax SLR with an RX at first. Have since added RTS, RTSII and an AX bodies all of which were not acquired based in need but because they were found at screaming bargains ($75, $115, $275). I have a nice collection of terrific earlier Zeiss glass from the 90's and it's all amazing. I was happy.

Then seeing an FM2 for $75 one day a few years ago and then cheap F3 and F2 ($75, $125), and then a few months ago a beater but working FE2 ($20 shipped) I once again dove back into Nikon.

I still have all the Contax kits too. With Nikon this time though I've gone with mostly classic old "F" primes from the 60's and early 70's. Love the signature I get with those classic lens on B&W which is 95% of my shooting now. The Contax lenses were built up when I mostly shot color slides. I have not used the modern new Zeiss glass except for a 35/2 Biogon for Leica mount which I much prefer over the 35/2 Planar for my G2.

As others have mentioned I doubt you'll see a huge difference from modern Nikon to Zeiss but many including myself love the Zeiss signature so you cannot go wrong either.

Frankly I think you got GAS bad and simply want more lenses!! :-)
    Interesting posts everyone, thank you.

I think the Zeiss signature is very visible, at least on digital cameras and if that translates over to 35mm film (I'm not sure if it does or not), then I think this is more than a small difference between the two sets of lenses.

Yes, I do have GAS. I've always wanted to shoot with Carl Zeiss lenses and that is tough to fight off.

Right now I shoot with 24mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.2, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, and 85mm f/2.0 all AIS Nikkors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hopefully the GAS for Zeiss lenses in this case doesn't have to do with german manufacturing mystique, because while they are beautifully made, these Zeiss lenses are made in Japan by Cosina.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Interesting posts everyone, thank you.

I think the Zeiss signature is very visible, at least on digital cameras and if that translates over to 35mm film (I'm not sure if it does or not), then I think this is more than a small difference between the two sets of lenses.

Yes, I do have GAS. I've always wanted to shoot with Carl Zeiss lenses and that is tough to fight off.

Right now I shoot with 24mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.2, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, and 85mm f/2.0 all AIS Nikkors.
    If you can't make brilliant pictures with the Nikon lenses you have, Zeiss lenses aren't going to be the magic bullet, you aren't going improve your photography by throwing money at the problem.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin