Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,521   Posts: 1,543,798   Online: 771

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vilk,

Bookmarked!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoobscura View Post
    Short of COMPLETELY expired Xtol (slightly possible but seems unlikely), anyone else have thoughts on this?
    That's easy, does the film have edge markings?

Edit:
    My Xtol (stock) (was until I dumped it last night) 8 months old, still plenty young to at least produce a latent image.
    Now there's your problem (as Adam Savage would say)
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 07-02-2014 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've had a Minox 35 G.T. for about 27 years that I bought second hand and it's never broken down, and still going strong.
    I've has a Minox 35GT since 1994, which has served me well, although with fairly light use. I recall having a panic a few years ago when the second half of a film was completely blank until I realised that the camera hadn't been used for a few months and batteries were flat ....the point is that all seems OK, the shutter makes a click and the film winds on, but without exposing. Obviously there is a film wind-on release which clicks even with a flat battery. (And, of course, my own fault for not using the battery-check button regularly!)

Shooter
    35mm
    In my younger days I rejected the Minox because you have to do scale focusing. Recently I like it but bought 35GL in excellent cosmetic condition at an estate sale. The shutter sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Finally sold it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an important variation of the fix before developer work-flow error.

It is the pre-soak, stop, fixer work-flow error (and the pre-soak can be safely omitted).

At 8 months, X-Tol and other developers should be tested before use.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    8 month old Xtol was/is dead.
    6 month Xtol is borderline.
    Mix the stock solution then pour up into smaller bottles filed to the rim and tightly capped may extend the life a few weeks.
    Been there, had it happen once, never let a second opportunity occur.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want a first rate, highly pocket-easy 35mm camera the Minox series 35's are it. I'll also say for every good Minox 35 out there there's five or six that bite the dust. I mean really bite the dust. Dust between the magnetic shutter contacts is what usually does the job on these little buggers. If you're handy and careful you can fix them yourself, but it's not for everyone. I have a total of seven working Minox 35's and at least twice as many "exploded in the box" Minox 35's. The best and most reliable are my Minox ML and Minox touring camera, but the data back on the Touring isn't working properly. I don't use that feature so it's not really missed. The sharpest Minox 35 I have is a beat up Minox EL that has to be kept in its bottom case 'cause it has a chip out of the corner on the front half and is light leak prone. Still, the lens beats my Rollei 35 with Tessar hands down. These are really professional cameras when it comes to image quality. The sad thing is that your shutter makes the same exact sound whether it is working or not. Yes, I've been really disappointed on a couple of occasions, but really blessed with some nice images more often. Most of my shooting is with my medium-format gear, but it's so easy to bring along the old EL or the Minox ML that one or the other is always with me. This holiday it's my Hassy SWC and the Minox ML loaded with B&W film. Should be a fun weekend. Oh, I really hope it's operator error and not your Minox GT. Of course they are replaceable if need be. JW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow I own several Rollei 35's. I had no idea the lens quality was par or above par then the Rollei. My Rollei's take great, sharp images.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow I own several Rollei 35's. I had no idea the lens quality was par or above par then the Rollei. My Rollei's take great, sharp images.
    Unlike a lot of people I do not think an electronic camera is less reliable than a mechanical one. However, in the case of the Minox vs Rollei the Minox's electronic seems to have a reputation for unreliable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey, I'm not knocking Rollei 35's and own two(have owned several more), but I'm saying the lens on my worst looking Minox EL is that good. I also prefer the Tessar on the Rollei 35 to the Sonnar so maybe I'm just different. I will say that when you pickup a Rollei35 you know you have a fine made machine in your hands. When you pickup a Minox 35 you think you have a toy in your hands. Still, it's a very capable toy when and if it works. JW

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin