Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,204   Online: 1187

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minox 35GT not happy, thoughts on this?

My Minox 35GT, a camera I am very fond of, appears to be no longer.

I ran a test roll yesterday and it came out completely clear (e.g. no frame markers and not even a faint trace image). I verified that the film was in fact winding through the roll and was being taken up (by virtue of the tension on the winder and seeing the rewind wheel spin). The roll even stopped at the last frame. I also verified that light was going through the shutter and that the shutter mechanism was working.

Short of COMPLETELY expired Xtol (slightly possible but seems unlikely), anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks much!

Shooter
    35mm
    how did you verify the shutter is opening? it's a common failure with the GT--the shutter pivots on a screw that comes loose after a while. you can easily tighten it with a small screwdriver, i did twice, but the next while will be shorter. it's a design fault--the movement of the shutter loosens the screw. all in all, GTs are landfill by now. unless you have use for strips of clear film, that is

ps. i got rid of mine over a decade ago, so my details may be off; perhaps it wasn't a hinge but some other thingy--a spring stop? there was definitely a screw i kept tightening though

pps. on the bright side--it's trivial. i have six thumbs on each hand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I verified the shutter was opening by (before loading the film obviously) taking off the back, aiming it at a light source, and depressing the shutter while looking through the lens hole Seems legit enough of a test

My only conclusion is bad developer. Like so bad that it was equivalent to developing with water. I can't think of any other reason I could clear a roll that way if the film winds and the shutter opens and closes. In worst case I'd at least get ONE image!

Shooter
    35mm
    Based on the info in your original post, this doesn't sound like a camera problem to me. Edge markings (which may include frame numbers) are put on the film at the factory. I'd say if you have no edge markings, one of three things happened (in no particular order):

1. You bleached traditional B&W film (or blixed it). Traditional B&W film should never be bleached unless you're doing reversal processing, in which case you use a non-rehal bleach.
    2. You fixed the film, then developed it.
    3. You're developer has gone bad.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate Minox cameras! They have superb lens (made by Leica?), small, super quiet, perfect camera for my needs - except shutter is the worst one ever. It just dies without warning, you can not trust this camera. When my Minox shutter died (in the middle of Istanbul) - I destroyed the camera into pieces.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I hate Minox cameras! They have superb lens (made by Leica?), small, super quiet, perfect camera for my needs - except shutter is the worst one ever. It just dies without warning, you can not trust this camera. When my Minox shutter died (in the middle of Istanbul) - I destroyed the camera into pieces.
    ah, an expressive enough equivalent of a scredriver turn, i guess

but seriously, i'm with you, such a great concept ruined by an obviously silly design flaw. tried a dozen compacts later, nothing quite like it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No Blix or bleach in my BW chemistry, separate darkroom for color. Zero chance of fixing > developing. Guess I've never seen chemistry so bad or so old that it wouldn't produce any latent image. Perhaps this is my first experience. My Xtol (stock) (was until I dumped it last night) 8 months old, still plenty young to at least produce a latent image. I've had containers of ID-11 stock that were two years old that still were good enough for test rolls. That's not even on the extreme side, I've had 5 year old D76 in an accordion container develop film.

But alas, it seems to be the developer.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a Minox 35 G.T. for about 27 years that I bought second hand and it's never broken down, and still going strong.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is definitely looking like user error on my part. I'm re-shooting a roll and developing in Rodinal.

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've had a Minox 35 G.T. for about 27 years that I bought second hand and it's never broken down, and still going strong.
    glad to hear! i'll post it here just in case google leads someone here; may you never need it--

https://www.flickr.com/groups/minox3...7612937954151/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin