Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,347   Online: 964

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

A question re: Canon T90

The eyecup on my Canon T90 decided to jump off the camera and run away while I was out shooting, and I have the impression that I cannot now see the screen quite as clearly as I'd like to. The T90 manual says the camera has built-in -1 diopter, implying that there's a diopter glass built into the rubber eyecup. As I've lost mine, I can't verify that, so I'd appreciate it if some kind soul having a T90 would have a look and let us all know the answer -- is there a glass element in the eyecup.

If the original T90 eyecup is just an eyecup without a diopter lens built-in, I've read that a Canon EF eyecup fits well and may actually stay on the camera better, and it's actually available on the market. But if the T90 eyecup has a diopter lens, my life just got a bit more difficult -- I'll have to post a WTB add here on APUG to see if anyone has a spare one they'd like to sell.

Thanks for taking a look at your T90 and posting back re: the diopter issue.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are three sorts Canon eye cups:

-) the standard one to glide on the diopter frame, without lens,

-) the glide on ones with corrective lens

-) the plain rubber actual cup as delivered with the AE-1. It is squeezed around the four edges of the diopter frame

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

here is the photo of my T90 eyecup. Can you compare it?

Regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0780.JPG   DSC_0781.JPG  

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darko, that is no eye cup.
    Just the plain accessory frame of the diopter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The original rubber eyecup looks like this below. Most photos of new-condition T90s will have one of these on the camera - whether the standard rubber eyecup like this comes with a built-in diopter lens is the question.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	90707

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The corrective T-90 eye cups look like the standard T-90 one you got. They were offered in a range of ten grades.

Alternatively there were the classic corrective lenses, without rubber cup and no means to fix such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you will find that the -1 diopter is built into the optical system, not the eyecup.

And that frame looks like the frame on my Canon EOS bodies, as well as an old Canon digital body that I have.

You may be happily surprised at how easy it will be to replace that.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, that auction website is full of Canon EF rubber eyecups, but woefully short of any sort of actual diopters for T90s, either separately or as part of a diopter/eyecup duo. KEH has nothing of this sort. May be unobtainium, though Canon sold more than a few T90s.

I appreciate all who have weighed in thus far.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Matt says, that -1 setting is achieved by the design of the diopter, it is the standard of the plain body.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take your eyecup to the optician. And best take the body too to check at the finder for best correction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin