Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,557,990   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses.

From what I have read, they were made in both Germany and Canada. How do I know where the camera was made? ....

Thanks,

Jared
    The location, Canada, Germany, will be stamped on the camera, just as it is on you Nikon.
    If you are looking at a camera online, the made in Canada or Germany will probably show in the seller's pictures of the camera. you can always ask.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I cannot recommend the M3 enough generally. An M3 will be appreciably smaller than an f5 or f6 (I compared it with my F100 and extrapolated so at least). It is probably the best for 50mms because of its VF/RF, and if you want to go wider than 28mm (which is what I do with Landscapes, but you might not if you hike) than you need an external with any M anyway. As to metering, I cannot recommend the Voigtlander meter enough, but if not I do use the Iphone app (even with slides) and that does not disappoint.

In terms of the filters, the simplest way to do it is to judge it with your eye and make sure to not move it when you put it on (I have a 70+ threaded one so that I can stick it on with bluetack, much easier).

In terms of cost, this is probably exaggerated. I am not sure about the US, but in the UK at least M3's show up pretty regularly in auctions. They are by far the largest production camera Leica ever made with over 200,000 sold, so they show up pretty reliably and are not that expensive. Check shutter release and speeds, make sure the RF is in alignment at least horizontally (the harder of the two to fix). and the winding should be silky smooth for the most fun out of the camera .

Shooter
    35mm

Leica

Leica made an M2 rangefinder camera with a fast rewind crank, so they called it the M2R. Many photojournalists favored it over a standard M2 and the M3. Back in the day....

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I say bring a Fuji GA645 instead, small, compact and medium format. Amazing lens. I have an M2 and MP. I'd never bring either for landscapes unless I was doing hang-off-a-cliff style Galen Rowell work. I much prefer MF landscape work.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to save $2000-3000 on a Leica and lens, go buy a used Nikon FM/FM2 and use the Nikkor lens you probably already own. Or if have $$$$ burning a hole in your pocket try a Hasselblad Xpan with a 40mm you will get yourself a rangefinder and a panoramic camera. Good Luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NDKodak View Post
    If you want to save $2000-3000 on a Leica and lens, go buy a used Nikon FM/FM2 and use the Nikkor lens you probably already own. Or if have $$$$ burning a hole in your pocket try a Hasselblad Xpan with a 40mm you will get yourself a rangefinder and a panoramic camera. Good Luck!
    Best advice yet, other than to try a small medium-format folder.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    What about a Leica III screw mount camera, much cheaper, seems to do the same job as an M3.

https://www.keh.com/232862/leica-iii...mm-camera-body

Jared
    Nikon F6, Nikon F5, AF Nikkor 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5, Nikkor 50-135mm f/3.5 AI-s, 50mm f/1.4 AI-s, MC-20 remote release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my M2 because it has framelines for a 35mm lens and I find that lens nice for scenics. It might cost a tad less than an M3 as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    From my brief experience, a leica m3 feels as heavy, if not heavier than an fm2n.

People will tell you that an m3 is a costly way to try a rangefinder, but you could basically resell your m3 for whatever you bought it for. Same goes for most any M leica.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin