Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,249   Posts: 1,660,312   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The best non-nikonos is the Nikon F3P or the F3T, both have the same weather sealing treatments of silicone applied to seams and joints as well as solder end connections. The Canon New F-1 neoprene seals have long crumbled and I would not trust them, neoprene is vastly inferior for this type of sealing long term and those cameras are quite old now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of the one's mentioned, I'd go with the F3. Just based on the fact that they were used extensively by press photographers who could not control the weather. And a bit lighter than the F2A.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinkin' the F3 also.
    None of the other cameras you mentioned are "sealed". The cameras are pretty snug and usually the areas around dials, rings and buttons have stepped surfaces so liquid doesn't just pour through. Unless it's a real soaker any one of them should do the job.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon's EOS 1V would tip my list for the best weather sealing of camera body, but also the most enduring. Sealing breaks down over time from many cycles of exposure to heat, cold, humidity and dryness, and all cameras that are sealed will usually have replacements made at the time of a major service. My EOS1N has been through patently atrocious conditions since 1994 and has never been serviced. It is sealed along the prime control area and back cover. Remember that a camera is only as good as the lens on the front -- this is where the consideration of weather resistance should be and is more important, all things else being equal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Miranda Sensorex even worked in Vietnam, but I never took it out in the full monsoon months either. Many of the Nikon F's I saw used over there had just a standard prism and no electronics at all. I'm sure, knowing the military, that those cameras were brought in/rotated and serviced with the photog getting a serviced one in exchange. If not, they'd rust solid in a few months of use I'm sure. As cheap as most 35mm's are now you could almost treat them as throw-away-cameras and have several spare bodies on hand. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I carried a Yashica TL Electro X for almost two years, in Vietnam. Never a moment of trouble.

Sold it in 84, still working fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you use an underwater camera and you use an ordinary camera consistently in heavy rain whatever weather protection it has you need to be prepared for some hefty repair bills.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mind you the Canon 1V came after the 1N which didn't quite fix the moisture issue from the 1; so Yeah, I would expect that Canon 1V would be quite sealed. My buddies at the other papers using 1 and 1N had those little top vinyl sticker covers over the top cover especially the left as a factory approved fix/preventive measure. A standard F3 is as sealed as you'd probably need getting wet at a water park excepting full submersion and very bad luck. Speaking from experience in shooting in pouring Hawaiian rain (its dumping right now as I type) the F3p and F3t are sealed beyond what most normal shooters (especially now I think) would be comfortable in shooting. The F4 maybe not so, I've had a few go funky in the wet; the seal (Neoprene BTW) at the front of the prism can let water in and cause a funky connection to the DP-20 which can effect the metering used in AUTO. If you catch the exposure shift/errors the F4 still functions correctly on Manual with at least spot metering. In regards to this area the F5 is better, a better and firmer connection and seal on the front prism area. I suspect the F6 with its non-interchangable prism has an extremely high sealing tolerances; Nikon has learned a few sealing tricks since the days of the F2.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I last worked as a PJ in the 80s I covered Africa, my last Nikon was F3 J, never had any issues in the rain. When I returned to Arizona my J stood up in heavy rain and dust storms. I have not seen many Js for sell, although both the F 4 and F 5 are weather sealed, I don't know if either are as well sealed as the J. My F3 J was ripped off from check baggage after 911 at LAX, I did not replace at the time, but later got a Minolta Weathermatic 35 with the 35 and 80 duel lens, and a Konica Off Road point and shoot with a 28mm lens for shooting in bad weather.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone! Looks like most votes are for the F3HP. Hopefully the weather sealing on my F3HP is still good!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin