Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,290   Online: 770

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    However well sealed a weather sealed body was, it won't be now after 20 years of seal deterioration

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    I think they were suggesting the f3p which is a little bit different.
    The F3 p or j stood for press or journalist depending on if bought in US or abroad. In addition to being weather sealed the self-timer was removed and it had a built in hot shoe. Nikon also claimed that it was built to higher standards than a standard F3, as far as I know the HP is not weather sealed. I knew a lot of PJs who shot with standard F, F2 and F3, I shot with both the F and F2 as well the F3J, in the rain snow and sleet, dust storms, volcano eruptions and their cameras lived to tell the story.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ^Never have seen an F3J. Only F3P or F3 Limited. I have the P version.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    As I mentioned on Nikonians, F3HP. Get one of those OP/TECH rainsleeves and use that to help keep water off the camera.

-J
    Thanks John! I took a look at the rain sleeves on B&H; not a bad idea! What I couldn't figure out from the product photo though is how it wraps around the viewfinder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Thanks John! I took a look at the rain sleeves on B&H; not a bad idea! What I couldn't figure out from the product photo though is how it wraps around the viewfinder.
    There is a hole in the product for the eyepiece. You remove the screw in eyepiece surround, fit the product, then replace the surround to secure it in place. I have used one on an F3 and it is quite effective.

Alex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have been inside my own F3P and seen in person as well as reviewing the Nikon official repair manual and parts list for both the F3 and F3P/T and the weather sealing for the P/T is mostly done with silicone rather than Neoprene and the weather sealing of my F3P has not deteriorated *at all*. I cannot vouch for the Canon products, but if they used neoprene then in all likelihood they have deteriorated and will not be sealed. I got my F3P in 1993 and it was my daily news camera for ten years as well being used as a regular camera for weddings, I consider mine to be as weatherproof as I'll ever need, but, Your Mileage May Vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Ah, just go buy an LX.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    I have been inside my own F3P and seen in person as well as reviewing the Nikon official repair manual and parts list for both the F3 and F3P/T and the weather sealing for the P/T is mostly done with silicone rather than Neoprene and the weather sealing of my F3P has not deteriorated *at all*. I cannot vouch for the Canon products, but if they used neoprene then in all likelihood they have deteriorated and will not be sealed. I got my F3P in 1993 and it was my daily news camera for ten years as well being used as a regular camera for weddings, I consider mine to be as weatherproof as I'll ever need, but, Your Mileage May Vary.
    Same experience as mine. The body I parted out last year still had good weather sealing pieces. My current body still has good rubber seals even though it is 31 years old as of this month.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    The Olympus MjuII is weather resistant. Don't go swimming with it but you should be okay for a little rain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not weather sealed, but handles water well:

Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin