Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,823   Online: 719

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Best Weather Sealed Body?

Rainy season is in full swing here in Florida now. I plan to visit the Orlando theme parks soon and I'm debating what body I should take:

- F with Ftn Photomic metered prism
    - F2A
    - F3HP
    - FM2N

My issue is that I will be doing plenty of walking. Camera will be knocked around a bit due to large crowds, getting on and off the rides, etc. I'm expecting daily afternoon rain no matter what day I go. I am trying to travel as light as possible (one body, a 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 105mm 2.5). While I won't be shooting in the rain, I would like to feel somewhat safe with a body that can withstand at least a bit of rain drops (gives me time to put it away in the bag when it starts raining). Humidity after the rain is pretty intense though; that is my real concern. Which of the bodies I mentioned above would have better weather sealing?

p.s. While I have used these cameras for many years, I never really had the need to test their weather sealing (except for the FM2N when I fell into knee-deep bat guano while doing a shoot in a cave near a rain forest back in the mid 1980's).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I brought my FM2n with me to Disney. Worked out really well.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I always thought about getting a Nikonos V for this kind of terrain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a similar problem and at the time had a F2AS and FE2. I didn't really think either one was anything near waterproof and really didn't want to chance a soaking. My answer was a Pentax IQ90WR which I bought new just for this occasion. It had a 38-90mm zoom and I was very pleasantly surprised be the job it did. I would rate it's lens as extremely good for a P&S camera. The camera allows the user to do many setting manually and I appreciated that. It's not a Nikon,but it's darn good. Oh, my FE2 and F2AS are long gone, but I still have that IQ90WR zoom. I freaked my deer hunting buddy out when we got back to the cabin by washing my camera in the sink. The Nikonos, which I've also own, would be a very good choice also. Of course it's a little more bread. JW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my Nikonos V out of water a lot with the 35mm lens. Actually more out of the water in harsh environments than under water. I also bought a $35 Nikon N75 a few years ago for a Disney vacation. Compared to the cost of the trip the camera was like a 'disposable' item. Turns out not only did the camera survive, it has become one of my favorite cameras to carry around.

Shooter
    35mm

mechanical

I lived in ARIDzona for a few years and they have gully-washer cloudbursts and wind storms that will knock the stuffings out of you. Two local schools called themselves the "Dust Devils" in honor of the mini-tornadoes in that neck of the...not woods, but rocks and cacti. When I had to go out and photograph these conditions for the local newspaper I would take my all-mechanical Nikkormat rather than newer electronic Nikon SLRs. The 'Mat never failed me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd be more concerned about the lenses. That said, I go with the least electronics. A little water isn't going to kill a manual camera that is properly maintained.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think any moisture would be a problem. With any camera, maybe rust where you cannot see it? I got a Nikonos for this reason. YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you shoot in those difficult conditions F5's are available cheap these days. And they are built like the proverbial brick s*#thouse. Sealed lenses are needed to complete the job though.

Then again you do see all those images from the Vietnam "conflict" that shot thousands of frames in the rain forest that is Vietnam via a Nikon F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon New F1 has internal neoprene weather seals and so do the L series of Canon F.D lenses.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin