Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,630   Online: 677

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    No it ain't temperature to low at 30C never get that here...

Try test again at 250

When you were winding on was one stroke enough?

If you don't get it to fail you need a scrap film in cassette and fire and rewind film with back open and thumb on film rail to provide drag. It should only move 8 holes each time.

That would be easy fix...
    Yeah, everything worked as normal. No missed strokes or funny noises. Mechnically, it runs like clockwork. It was near mint when I bought it.

The frames are perfectly spaced on the funny rolls too, some just don't have any exposure at all.

Here's one of the normal frames, which seems to have decent exposure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0036g-Edit.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	91055
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-14-2014 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Were you using flash?

Check the aperture on the lens - is it sometimes sticking at minimum opening.

It takes real creativity to leave a lens cap on an SLR - are you really creative .

Can you recall the circumstances and settings for the blank frames? Are they at the same position in the roll?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about accidentially using an exposure setting totally off, or exposing with DOF activated and aperture closed?

If, not, were those exposures done at AE? Then a rare erratic fault of the electronics could be the cause.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Were you using flash?

Check the aperture on the lens - is it sometimes sticking at minimum opening.

It takes real creativity to leave a lens cap on an SLR - are you really creative .

Can you recall the circumstances and settings for the blank frames? Are they at the same position in the roll?

The blanks seem random. A couple of them are adjacent, the rest just unevenly spaced.

The lenses seem fine too, I used 28, 35 and 135mm Rokkor MDs in very good condition. I've checked the couplings.

I developed two more films yesterday, two rolls of Ektar. They were really messed up. Half of the frames were blank or underexposed. I did shoot a couple of test rolls with the camera and the lenses a few days before I left on holiday and they were absolutely perfect. Really well exposed.

I also have another 8 undeveloped rolls in this batch which I shot with this camera while on holiday. It sure picked its moment to break down

So, I'll just have the camera repair man look at it. And maybe toss the remaining rolls.

Thanks all for your help.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-15-2014 at 04:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You checked lenses. Yes these can be the cause too. Or rather a mechanical fault at the aperture actuator on the side of the lens or of the body, so that the aperture would be closed down to smallest opening.
    (Actuator principle though may vary between brands.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Everything seems fine. I 've run it next to my XD7 with an identical lens and they seem to respond the same.

Really inexplicable. It 's my biggest photographic phuk-up ever.

Still, I've got the XD7 etc so I'm good for the future.

I just have to let go of a few hundred photos that I took but I'll never see.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-15-2014 at 06:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe your camera knew better than you what would be a shitty photograph? I don't understand the algorithms od modern cameras anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That can't be it, either, because I don't take shitty photographs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Alright, an update.

After running a few hundred more dummy shots, I managed to get the problem to reappear. Not that I particularly wanted it to.

When I look from the back through the lens, the image circle will be partially or wholly obscured on some shots above 1/500.

This is consistent with the results I got on the films.

So my guess is that there is an issue with the timing of the two shutter curtains at higher speeds - when the shutter is not open but slitted.

Perhaps the bottom curtain is draging a bit, causing the top curtain to hit it?

That would also explain why the problem occurred only in my holiday shots, as the brighter sun meant I was shooting at higher shutter speeds than usual.

Well, I'll see what the camera repair man has to say.

But it's really annoying that I shot only film on some days, no digital, so those photos are mainly lost.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-16-2014 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same exact problem with my XD11, and it got away after John Titterington CLA'ed it. Highly recommend him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin