Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,913   Online: 781

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Blank frames with Minolta XD5 !?

Hello

I wonder if I can pick your brains over an unusual issue for me.

Yesterday I developed two rolls of FP4 shot with my Minolta XD5. Both rolls had 3 to 4 completely blank frames. No exposure whatsoever. The rolls were shot on different days.

The camera is in excellent condition and I have shot several rolls on it before without a problem.

Afterwards, I have done about 100 dummy shots with no film in the camera at different settings. Each time the mirror, shutter and aperture works just fine. No misfire. Metering seems accurate.

My thoughts on this is that it may be a film tension issue, causing the film to bulge and block the blades of the shutter. Perhaps an issue with the pressure plate?

Before I start tinkering with it, do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure if the Minolta is one of the cameras where the shutter will fire but has a electronic timing mechanism (i.e. the shutter will fire, but because there is no power to the electromagnets, the shutter just goes across completely closed with no slit between). First- wind it, and see if you can see light through the shutter when you fire it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    I'm not sure if the Minolta is one of the cameras where the shutter will fire but has a electronic timing mechanism (i.e. the shutter will fire, but because there is no power to the electromagnets, the shutter just goes across completely closed with no slit between). First- wind it, and see if you can see light through the shutter when you fire it.
    Yeah, it's an electronically controlled aluminium blade shutter. I have checked it and I see the image circle through it on each shot. The batteries are fresh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought you meant completely blank rolls, sorry
    Hmm, film usually bows away from the film gate, so tension is probably not the issue

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, but FP4 is a flat polyester based film which is not concave on the emulsion side, like some acetate films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    Yeah, but FP4 is a flat polyester based film which is not concave on the emulsion side, like some acetate films.
    It is only FP4 sheet film which is polyester based. Roll film is acetate

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The simplest explanations is intermittent capping eg temperature to low. The camera will wind on and fire as normally. You do need to try at 250 lens off looking from behind at light where you only see a flash.

If any thing touches the shutter in motion it is instant metal origami : suitable apologies to Ja readers.

The metal shutters are difficult to address.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    The simplest explanations is intermittent capping eg temperature to low. The camera will wind on and fire as normally. You do need to try at 250 lens off looking from behind at light where you only see a flash.

If any thing touches the shutter in motion it is instant metal origami : suitable apologies to Ja readers.

At what level of low temperature does "intermittent capping" occur. I take it that intermittent capping is the shutter not opening.

What does "difficult to address" mean?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post

The temperature on these days was over 30C (90F).

I did try all shutter speeds up to 1000, looking through the back. Lens on and off. Each time I had light through the shutter.

So it seems to be working right now and the previous rolls were perfect. The differences on these two rolls were much hotter weather, much stronger sun and different film. Some of the exposures were a bit off too.

Ah well, I'll shoot another test roll before I do anything. If that has blank frames too, I'll leave it for servicing.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-14-2014 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    The temperature on these days was over 30C (90F).

I did try all shutter speeds up to 1000, looking through the back. Lens on and off. Each time I had light through the shutter.
    No it ain't temperature to low at 30C never get that here...

Try test again at 250

When you were winding on was one stroke enough?

If you don't get it to fail you need a scrap film in cassette and fire and rewind film with back open and thumb on film rail to provide drag. It should only move 8 holes each time.

That would be easy fix...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin