Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,557   Posts: 1,646,480   Online: 690

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon Rebels - guide? Which model to get?

So the Elan 7 is a little larger than I thought, and I'd like a P&S replacement for with the 40 2.8 STM
    What are the difference between the Rebel models?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots.

But the smaller body you go, the more 'consumer grade' it becomes. There were so many 35mm Rebels it's ridiculous. Why do you want a rebel? I'd personally look at the EOS 620 or EOS 630. The rebels were very plastic and cheap feeling, but they are smaller.

For the full line of Rebels, look here - http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c...1991-1995.html and go forward. For the 620/650, go backwards.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There was a TON of rebels, I am a big Elan 7 user, and the Rebels generally where smaller, and less feature rich then the Elan 7s (I am sure there is a rebel that breaks that rule.) The good news is that Rebel bodies are dirt cheap and you can easily obtain one on ebay for not that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought Rebel bodies for US$6 from KEH; Rebel X and Rebel G, I believe, but there are several low-end alternatives that sell for similarly ridiculous prices. Honestly, I think unless you want to use some particular spiffy feature, there's not much to choose on other than price; they all hold your EOS lenses in front and keep the dark in in back, they're all cheap-and-cheerful wunderplastik cameras built with good quality control to a low price point, and they should all be good enough at metering and focus for a competent user.

If you're shooting action situations that demand 16384-point autofocus and super-duper-precognitive-evaluative metering, or something, the differences between models come into play. But as a convenient p&s, I'd say just get the cheapest body you find at KEH. Heck, at those prices, get three or four so you have some backups.

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 07-14-2014 at 01:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed one model name
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The ubiquitous Rebel G (known also as the EOS 500N) seems to be the perfect compromise to me: inexpensive with a good feature set.

When the Rebel came out in the 1990's, I had scorn for them; I was using an F3/T and an M3 -- didn't want that autofocus, auto-everything crap with a plastic mount. Two years ago at my local photo store, I kept seeing these things for $20. I found a surprising amount of info on the Rebel G on the web (e.g. http://www.marietta.edu/~mcshaffd/macro/canonrebg.html). Just out of interest I bought one and liked it. Now I find them a lot of fun.

Here is a Canon camera comparison tool: http://photonotes.org/lookup/
    Nikon: F, F2 x3, F2S x2, F3/T x2, F4S x2, FM, FM3a, D700
    Canon: EF, AE-1P, RebelG x3, Elan 7NE, QL17GIII, Canonet 28
    Leica: M3 x2, M6 x2
    Exakta: VX x3, VXIIa
    Hasselblad: 500C/M, 501C, SWC, 553ELX
    Mamiya: RB67 Pro S x2
    Fuji: GW690III, X-Pro1
    Polaroid: SX-70, SLR 690, Image 1200
    Minolta: SRT-101, Maxxum 7, DiMAGE X1
    Minox: III, IIIs x2, B
    Graflex: Pacemaker 4x5
    Olympus: XA, XA2
    Other: Pentax SP500, Ricoh GR1, Voigtländer Bessamatic
    Lenses: way too many to list

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They're all equally good/bad/cheap/light. I've got the 2000 (EOS 300 in Europe). Also had the 300X (don't know what that is called in the US). You can get either for $15 on ebay so any will do. The 300X has a nicer grip and even has a metal mount (the 300 is plastic!). In the end I kept the 2000 as it was my first real camera. It now gets sole use with a 40/2.8 on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get those early tanks, please. EOS 620 or EOS 650.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 07-15-2014 at 08:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. The thing is I have plenty of tanks, i just want a light beater beach/party camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_300V may be the smallest of the bunch.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What was the black model without flash on top of VF module?
    I would get this one, but we have and used a lot at home the EOS 300.
    Just looked at pictures from it, yesterday.
    Purchased EOS 3 year ago, just for curiosity, sold it quickly and still keeping Rebel, it works with my 50L
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin