Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,549   Posts: 1,599,034   Online: 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon F: Half press hesitation = blank frame

I tend to start squeezing the shutter button when I'm about to shot so I've noticed that when I back off the button the F triggers something that requires me to wind the shutter again.

Anyone else experience this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    I tend to start squeezing the shutter button when I'm about to shot so I've noticed that when I back off the button the F triggers something that requires me to wind the shutter again.

Anyone else experience this?
    Have the camera serviced, it needs it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Have the camera serviced, it needs it.
    Yeah, figured it needs some CLA, but otherwise, it's a workhorse. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Yeah, figured it needs some CLA, but otherwise, it's a workhorse. Thanks.
    I've been using Fs since about 1995, one of mine did the very same thing until I serviced it. You'd press the release partway, let it go, and the camera would neither trip the shutter nor do anything else but advance the film.
    Definitely my favorite 35mm SLR, by a wide margin. Well worth a good CLA by a competent and conscientious technician, unless you're under 40 you'll likely never need to pay for another one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Never had an F, but if this happens, couldn't you set the A/R ring to R and wind on, and not lose a frame?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    Never had an F, but if this happens, couldn't you set the A/R ring to R and wind on, and not lose a frame?
    No.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I've been using Fs since about 1995, one of mine did the very same thing until I serviced it. You'd press the release partway, let it go, and the camera would neither trip the shutter nor do anything else but advance the film.
    Definitely my favorite 35mm SLR, by a wide margin. Well worth a good CLA by a competent and conscientious technician, unless you're under 40 you'll likely never need to pay for another one.
    I'm under 40, but not by too much, so we'll see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When was the last time your F was serviced ?, no machine works correctly for fifty years without maintenance.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    When was the last time your F was serviced ?, no machine works correctly for fifty years without maintenance.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    I bought the camera off Craigslist from someone selling for a friend. So I have no clue. I'm not surprised that it needs a little TLC. Otherwise, it's hell of a machine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I should have looked into this thread sooner, but didn't notice at first it was about F's. It is possible this is an adjustment problem, but I really think the issue you are having is more in the nature of the beast. I've had this happen occasionally since I started using F's in the early 70's. I particularly remember it at basketball games where I would have some pressure on the shutter release waiting for something to happen.

I don't work on these, but believe what is happening is that the mechanism that prevents double exposures is operating just before the actual release of the shutter, requiring you to advance before you can trip it. Maybe that can be adjusted better, but just paying more attention to not weighting the release button before you are ready to shoot has solved it for me 99.9 percent of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin