Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,529   Posts: 1,598,547   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Advice please: Is an E screen a worth upgrade to Nikon F100

I am considering replacing the focusing screen of my F100 with an E. Would that be a worthy upgrade? Does anyone use that screen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well...do you need the gridlines?

Shooter
    35mm
    I use an E screen in my F3, and I use the optional grid lines in my F80. I would buy an E for my F100 if I could find one. They help me with composition, and with getting everything straight.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is it just the grid lines? Is there any screen available that makes it easier using manual focus lenses? There is the focusing rangefinder available in the viewfinder, but I get the feeling that my camera does not always understand me...

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it is just grid lines, although I have not seen the F100 version. The one for the F3 has no obvious focus aid, like split screen or micro prism ring, but I find focusing is quite easy with it. I have used manual lenses on the F100 with original screen, but only occasionally. I didn't have any problem, although I can see that using DoF preview to check critical focus might not be so easy.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is just the grid lines then it might not be of use. It could be of aid, but it costs too much for just that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    Is it just the grid lines? Is there any screen available that makes it easier using manual focus lenses? There is the focusing rangefinder available in the viewfinder, but I get the feeling that my camera does not always understand me...
    Does this produce a signal or sign when the lens is focused? I have always found the green hexagonal that light ups on a Pentax when using manual lenses of the "A" variety to be very good. I'd have thought that Nikon's system would be equally good but I am not a Nikon user.

Can you say what it is about the Nikon focusing system that doesn't understand you?

pentaxuser
    Last edited by pentaxuser; 07-17-2014 at 10:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unlike the screens on manual cameras, screens on AF cameras the screen will not show DOF at less than f/2.8, so if you focus at f/1.4 or f/2.8 the VF looks the same. The rangefinder will focus over a wider range than you actually want with fast lenses, I had an F100 in the past and at close range and f/1.4 you could turn the ring and still be in focus over a rather wide area, shows you how accurate AF is...

The only exception to that is the Ec-S screens Canon makes that will show DOF to f/1.8. I have one and it is a vast improvement over the stock screens, I can accurately focus anywhere on the screen without resorting to focus points and the rangefinder. I hacked one once to try and install it on a F100. It kind of worked but the screen was too thick and sat slightly at angle, meaning the extremes of the screen would front/back focus...shame Nikon doesn't make a plain screen that helps in this regard...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The E screen is only gridlines. I put one into my F100 the day I took it home new and have never used any other screen in it.

With practice you can focus manually with this or the stock screen. It's just a little trickier than it is with the manual bodies' screens.

If you really want to focus manually you might prefer using a manual focus body (or an F4 with a manual focus screen installed)... but do give your current kit some time. You can get used to it and focus quite accurately.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The E screen was one of the first items I installed in my D1H (think of that as an F100 with a CCD instead of film, literally - uses the same screens and is pretty much identical except for the location of the diopter adjustment, the color matrix meter from the F5, and a built-in MB-15 battery grip).

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin