Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,120   Online: 1112

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F4 shutter stuck

Hello fellow APUG members.

This is the first time I am asking for technical help here and I am quite desperate at the moment.

I was out taking pictures of the cityscape at night with my F5 on which the batteries went too low to fire the shutter (17 degrees C, relatively fresh Duracell Plus batteries), so I took out my trusty F4 with the MB-21 battery pack installed with good Duracell Pro batteries. The finder did light up but the bottom display only showed two horizontal bars. On the first image, the shutter fired and locked with the film being exposed, mirror up and lens stopped down. Fresh, warm batteries did not help when I found my way home.

EDIT: The camera was set in "Time" mode
    Last edited by Copyhat; 07-17-2014 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    S°ren Hammer
    - Konica T3N
    - Konica FS-1
    - Nikon F4s
    - Nikon F5
    - Nikon F801

Shooter
    35mm
    Does it close the shutter if you change shutter speed setting? I have an FE that sometimes freezes with shutter open and changing speed fixes it. How does 'T' work on the F4? On the F3 you have to move the shutter dial to close the shutter the 'T' setting.
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    If you need the manual, it is on page 68: http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F4-F4S.pdf
    Two horizontal bars is right when you set Time. Only one dash for B.
    From the manual: "If "T" exposure is less than 32 sec., to complete exposure,
    return mirror to viewing position and advance to next frame,
    rotate shutter speed dial to any other setting. If "T" exposure is
    32 sec. or longer, to complete exposure, turn shutter speed
    dial to any other setting, lightly press shutter release button to
    return mirror to viewing position and advance to next frame."
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM2N, 10
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Copyhat View Post
    Hello fellow APUG members.

This is the first time I am asking for technical help here and I am quite desperate at the moment.

I was out taking pictures of the cityscape at night with my F5 on which the batteries went too low to fire the shutter (17 degrees C, relatively fresh Duracell Plus batteries), so I took out my trusty F4 with the MB-21 battery pack installed with good Duracell Pro batteries. The finder did light up but the bottom display only showed two horizontal bars. On the first image, the shutter fired and locked with the film being exposed, mirror up and lens stopped down. Fresh, warm batteries did not help when I found my way home.

lol, that'd do it. It stumped KEH, too. Apparently a body I got from them was set to "T". In their auction, they said that the camera was jammed with a non-functional shutter and autofocus that didn't work. Turns out, when I put batteries into it, then hit the firing button, it unlocked and worked fine.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I see this is your way of saying "I found the problem and it is sorted". I read it as "The camera is set on Time and I don't know how to sort it". Sorry, I was past my bedtime!
    Glad it is working for you! Enjoy it!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM2N, 10
    A bunch of Nikons

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin