Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,547   Posts: 1,599,013   Online: 828

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

One Of My Favorites: a 44M 58mm Helios

I've been selling my gear off and was thinking what sort of budget kit might be kept "just for fun". My FD 135 2.5 is a no brainer for a tele: cheap, and has wonderful IQ. I looked at some negs from an old Helios that I'd put on a Canon FT QL w/ an adapter, and that made my decision for a 50 lens (or a 58 actually). It's remarkable how nice a kit you can put together for under $100.

Here's the Canon, and the link below it is to some shots from that Helios. I've always appreciated Russian glass on rangefinders, but their SLR lenses are just as good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3880.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	599.2 KB 
ID:	91528

http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/st...ideshow/Helios
    Last edited by momus; 07-20-2014 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got one, it came in a Zenit kit I got for nothing; I can't bear to get rid of it because of its "Battleship Potemkin" feel, but I can't remember the last time I took a photograph with it ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You should shoot yours. The photos they make are amazingly good. Leica sharp, and wide open thay are perfect for portraits. Bokeh can be quite swirley at times, but more often than not it's "normal". I like the bokeh thing myself. Mine came off a Zenit 11 that had problems....namely, it was a Zenit :] The old Canon works just fine w/ a $10 adapter in stop down mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to use it as a macro lens on digital with an extension tube, and it was quite amazingly sharp and contrasty.
    I don't have a film camera I can put it on since the zenit committed suicide. If I ever see a m42 body for a fiver I'll buy it and give it another go

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one which I converted to Nikon mount. I haven't used it much yet though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine also came with a Zenit 11. Both are still working perfectly well.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, 2x OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you have good copy of this lens, it is worth to keep it.
    Two guys, I know in my town, have Zenit with this lens, works and sharp.
    I wasn't lucky with my 44M.

My $100 SLR kit is OM-10, 50 f1.8 and 75-150 F4.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had one on a Zenit E. It did not seem very special to me. I know there was sample variation. A 55/1.8 SMCT or SMC is probably my favorite slower M42 standard lens and these are also available for very little. Good standard lenses have been available for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just sold my 44M. Had it for a month or so to try it out, it was sharp but nothing special and in strong backlight it flared quite a bit (was clean inside). I was hoping for maybe some interesting rendering (a la Voigtlander 40/2 or Zeiss 50/1.4) but didn't see it. Still, for £10 it makes an interesting standard lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin