Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,517   Online: 767

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Need information on Maxxum lenses

I've done a forum search, and didn't come up with much, so I'll ask.

*** Where is a good reference on Minolta Maxxum lenses? ***

The info on Minolta's website is OK, but hardly subjective.

I just bought a Maxxum 650si on Ebay for a pittance! If I like it, I will want more lenses! It is to be a "vacation" camera, to replace ("upgrade") the P&S.

I want to know things like:
    * I know the "G" lenses are the best, but for my use, probably pricey.
    * There are some new ones that are cheap. Are they the same as the older lenses of the same specs, just in new, plastic bodies?

Remember: vacation camera. It is not to replace my medium formats, or even the 35mm manual focus ...

Thanks in advance!

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

The older metal bodied lenses with the metal Mounts are far better than the newer plastic bodied lenses, which were made during the transition between Minolta and Konica, who now owns the company, I have been shooting Minolta for work for about 25 years now, and recently tried one of the newer non G lenses and it died after about a month, and they would not honor the warrantee, due to the clause that non-pro use only, if you want to purchase the G lenses they will honor the warrantee. Also, we have noticed the coatings are not the same for color rendition and flare in the newer lenses with the plastic bodies as they were with the older metal bodied lenses.

If you need more info, please let me know, I can pretty much let you know what is good and what is not so good in the Minolta lines.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Michael Hohner is one of the Minolta yahoo group members who maintains a site about Minolta lenses. Check out this URL http://www.mhohner.de and links to other information sites.

luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    35mm
    The Minolta yahoo group is always good at giving advice about minolta lenses. Just ask around.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Minolta/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interested in a 200mm 2.8 APO G lens with UV filter, box and caps?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin