Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,487   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

right or left eye viewing

Do you look through the viewfinder with your right or left eye? I use my right eye and close my left, which is just as well, as I’m unable to close my right eye and keep the left open. Does right or left eye viewing make any difference?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Use whichever eye works for you. My left eye is dominate over my right eye but I still use my right eye because I've used it all these years and I'm comfortable that way. On a large format camera I use my loupe with my right eye also. If my right eye gets worse I may have to switch to my left or start wearing my glasses while shooting.

I see you use a rangefinder. I find it more comfortable using my right eye with a rangefinder because of my big nose.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like it with right for RF and little scale focusing cameras. For P&S, SLR and TLR I often use left one, because it is less problematic without glasses.
    For "street" photography I often use both open, and for something moving fast into the frame as well.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use my left and keep my right open.I wish I could do it the other way 'round,but that's the way they designed me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I can use either eye but leave both open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Man looks in the viewfinder, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him from using miniature format cameras."

I always use the best eye, which can vary day to day.
    5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, 8x10, 6x7cm and 6X4.5cm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many (if not most) 35mm cameras seem to be made to use the right eye. I did so for 40+ years until the cataract in the right eye got to the point where everything was fuzzy. Left eye is still fine, so I have had to switch to it for all viewfinders, grain focusers, loupes, etc. Fortunately, I can also use the left eye without spectacles for such things. We take what we can get.

So, to the original question: does it make a difference. Well, to me, yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After a left eye early in life injury I'm extremely right eye dominate and really have no choice for the most part. Seems to work just fine for me.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Right eye. Keeps my big melon head out of the way of my hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tend to use my right eye, but could use the left if needed. For cine filming, it is recommended to keep both eyes open so that you can see what might be about to move into your frame. I have a Bolex K1 camera that has a viewfinder that shows more than the actual frame. The surround is coloured yellow so that you can see what's immediately outside the frame whilst the actual filmed area remains obvious. It works really well. Not really needed for static subjects, though.
    Alex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin