Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,463   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Electronic Viewfinders...health warning

I was encouraged to stick with my mechanical film cameras, following a visit to my optician for an eye check-up. He mentioned there was increasing evidence of long term eye damage; in particular from constant use of i-phone type devices. Apparently because these have small screens and are often held close to the eyes, there is serious risk from certain wavelength emissions adversely affecting the eyes.

I then asked him, "What about digital cameras with their electronic viewfinders"?....He indicated that the jury's out on that one, as they are a relatively new development, to his knowledge, medical research has not been instigated, but he would not use one.

Could it be that, rather like the smoking habit, people become aware of the dangers to health when it's too late?

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with this type of studies that claim to provide "evidence" is that there needs to be well-planned funding and long term association analyses to be able to conclude that the effect is statistically significant. Meaning several years are needed to draw meaningful conclusions and they might change when the size of the studied cohort increases (see for instance this http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelo...overweight.htm). Is it then too late for the studies to prevent harmful effects? Well, nowadays technology moves so fast it´s almost impossible to keep the pace. I hope not, but I feel it might actually become too late.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was reading that people having more and more problems with neck and spine because of unnatural positions of the head for long time - looking down on your smart phone for hours and hours on every occasion. Hard to say, time will tell, for example connection between cancer and often mobile phone usage was mentioned many times - but so far I have not seen any scientific research to confirm that.

Shooter
    35mm

(cough, cough)

I spent at least 40 years in tightly enclosed darkrooms using dangerous chemicals that, these days, the EPA could fine a person $15000 a day for using them and dumping them into the sewer. And I am still alive and kicking. I take these "the sky is falling" screeds with a pinch of salt on a slice of baloney.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do know for certain phones are hazardous. I've always said, if you ram into me while texting, you better have a small phone - it's next trick will be mimicking a suppository.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Apparently because these have small screens and are often held close to the eyes, there is serious risk from certain wavelength emissions adversely affecting the eyes.
    I would be inclined to treat this statement with a large degree of scepticism - The amount of energy of potentially damaging wavelengths of light put out by LCD backlights is minimal compared to what one would be subjected to outdoors. Much more damage will be done by protracted periods of focusing on a small screen at close distance. Even this will be less than the injuries sustained whilst wandering outdoors while engrossed in whatever it is one does with one of those iPhone things.

Put the darned thing away and pay attention to your surroundings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    after extensive research, it has been concluded (conclusively) that donning the appropriate safety equipment will significantly mitigate the threat posed by these devices

the simplest and most economical for the everyday user will be headgear fashioned from aluminium rolled to a thickness of approximately 0.2mm, easily available from many outlets and equally easy to cut and bend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    I was encouraged to stick with my mechanical film cameras, following a visit to my optician for an eye check-up. He mentioned there was increasing evidence of long term eye damage; in particular from constant use of i-phone type devices. Apparently because these have small screens and are often held close to the eyes, there is serious risk from certain wavelength emissions adversely affecting the eyes.

I then asked him, "What about digital cameras with their electronic viewfinders"?....He indicated that the jury's out on that one, as they are a relatively new development, to his knowledge, medical research has not been instigated, but he would not use one.

Could it be that, rather like the smoking habit, people become aware of the dangers to health when it's too late?
    So iToys that have been around for 5~10 years are bad, but electronic viewfinders that have been around 20~30 years are "relatively new" so not proven?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When young I could work on smaller objects than i-phones with no problems. Many decades later such work caused problems. I-phone users should investigate appropriate glasses when they reach middle-age.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    So iToys that have been around for 5~10 years are bad, but electronic viewfinders that have been around 20~30 years are "relatively new" so not proven?

I'm referring to actual viewfinders rather than the digital viewing panel on the back of all digi cameras. The early digital SLR's of around 15 years ago had optical viewfinders. So far as I'm aware, the introduction of EVF's in SLR cameras has been a comparatively recent thing.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin