Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,585,007   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Favorite Camera for IR Film ?

I have only shot IR film in 2 cameras, Aries 35 III and Hasselblad 500 c/m. I like the results have been getting with both using D-76 1:1...... Still learning though......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of what I have, I enjoy using my Yashica Mat 124G. Using a TLR allows the opaque filter to stay on the taking lens while the composition and focus proceeds unfettered through the viewing lens (except for some ghosting from my filter kludge). I came up with a lot of plumbing to adapt an already owned 89B filter to Bay-1, but it works.

Some day it might be cool to get a 720nm filter in Bay-1 or adapt to a modest size threaded filter. The typically high cost of IR filters and my infrequent use of IR has held me in check.

My first IR outing used my Bronica SQ-A and I was fearing I would wear out the filter threads!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If HIE were still made then I would have some.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my Mamiya Super 23 for 120 and my Yashica GSN for 35mm. Having the rangefinder eliminates having to remove the IR filter to compose & focus. A TLR would also be good as DWThomas says.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a Rolleicord Vb with the Rollei IR filter. Advantages as pointed out by DWThomas. I found a Bay 1 to 49mm converter on eBay which would allow use of an R72 in that size as an option to the Rollei filter. I use a Cokin P holder on my Bronicas with the Cokin 007 IR filter. For 35mm I use a Hoya R72 on a drilled out OpTech flip open lens cap. This works with 28mm and anything longer. It vignettes with 24mm. It is a 52mm thread which fits a lot of Nikon lenses.
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TLRs might have been invented for IR film. I was lucky enough to pick up a Rollei-Infrarot in Bay I, so I mostly use my 'cord for IR nowadays, but in the last analysis any good TLR is a good IR camera. Bay Whatever to 49mm adapters are common and usually don't obstruct the viewing lens.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my Canon FTb because of the quick up spool.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given the long exposure times and typical use for landscapes, a 4x5 field camera is my favourite way of shooting IR.

TLRs are easy, but again given the slow, tripod-mounted nature of IR exposures, a good MF SLR is just as good an option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a few rolls of HIE left. I usually use a 89B filter (opaque to visible light) when I shoot this film so I always use a rangefinder, usually my Canonet QL-1.7 or a Canon 7.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya C330 with either a 65mm or 135mm lens.

I have a step-up ring that allows me to use the same 49mm 720nm filter with both lenses, a Paramender 3 head when I want to work close up, and both prism and waist-level finders.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin