Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,999   Posts: 1,633,456   Online: 943

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Minolta Freedom Zoom 90 P&S - worth reviving?

A while ago, my parents gave me a box full of all their old film cameras. I've been slowly picking through them. I have a Minolta Freedom 90 Zoom point and shoot. Seems like it was a pretty decent camera. Everything appears to work but the battery went dead before I loaded a film so I'm not sure of the quality of the lens and auto exposure system. It takes a 2CR5 battery...which appears to cost between $7.00 on eBay and $12.00 at the local Home depot. So, I'm wondering if this plastic fantastic from the 1990's (?) is worth the expense of a battery?

Was this a decent camera? or just another one to toss in the discard pile?

Shooter
    35mm
    I looks like solid, expensive in own time, camera. I have Samsung Zoom p&s and it performs very well, I can print without much trouble 11x14. It uses 1xCR2.
    Judging from the pictures and fact, that it takes such a large battery seems that it is of larger size. If you think it is too big to carry in the pocket, then you know...

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I not used a Minolta Freedom Zoom, but I have a couple of Pentax IQ zooms which are rather sharp, the Pentaxs uses a CR2 with cost less than the CR5s. Fit into a pocket. One of my faviorate camera is a Vivitar auto focus with a 2.8 35mm lens, it uses standard AA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't directly answer your question - but check the prices on Amazon and Rakuten for those batteries.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wait, this manual says it uses CR123 batteries.

http://www.derrybryson.com/manuals/M...0%20Manual.pdf

If this is the case, the CR123 seems to be popular with P&S cameras so if you ever get a Olympus Stylus, you can use it there too. I swap batteries between my P&S cameras. They last forever.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the camera and a dead battery that was powering it....It definitely uses a 2CR5 type.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are at least three different versions of the Minolta Freedom Zoom 90, the Zoom 90, Zoom 90ex, and Action Zoom 90. Yours is probably the ex version. I would put a battery in it and use it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The one I have looks like the one offered for sale in this eBay listing (not me, not my ebay item).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-Free...item461d4ef3f8

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin