Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,518   Posts: 1,645,550   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What to do with the FM2???

So I have a Nikon FM2. I really like the Fm2 because it has an awesome metering system. However my Fm2 doest really work. Sometimes its shutter curtain will get stuck a few millimeters from closing and the mirror gets stuck up. What I have to do to fix this is open up the bottom an move this thing. If I have film in the camera it will leak light onto the film. Also the meter started flickering back and forth between overexposed, exposed correctly and underexposed when looking at something. I will be looking at a shot and the meter will constantly just flicker around. I would like some advice on what to do. Should I get it CLAd (If so please recommend a good place) or should I buy a CLAd camera? I would like to go with the cheapest option but I would like my Fm2 working for many years to come. Thanks.
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    35mm
    Send it in to KEH (or others) if it has sentimental value. Otherwise buy another one.

Things you could do yourself are
    Clean battery contacts.
    Move film speed dial back and forth several times to wipe the contacts.
    Rotate aperture ring several times.
    Replace mirror bumper foam and clean mirror.

Shutter sounds like it has melted foam stuck on it. Clean it carefully with lighter fluid or coleman fuel (naptha) and a lint free swab.Both sides.Do not use any pressure. touch swab to surface and roll it while moving horizontally from the pivot side to the free end.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it was mine, it would be off to www.garryscamera.com
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forget another one. Even if supposedly working you have no idea for how long. Get yours CLA'd by a good technician and then you'll be great shape and know it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use that cla money and put it to a fm3a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Use that cla money and put it to a fm3a
    Or that. yes. That would work too. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it needs more than just a CLA. Remember, a CLA is a maintenance procedure, not a repair procedure.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you like the camera, get a CLA. It will be good for many years to come.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sounds like it needs more than just a CLA. Remember, a CLA is a maintenance procedure, not a repair procedure.
    True, do you recommend buying another one and CLAing that?
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    That's true, but a CLA often fixes problems caused by deteriorated foam getting into mechanisms (particularly vertical shutters), old lubricant, or corroded contacts.
    My Pentax guy, Eric Hendrickson, also does routine repairs, those common to older machines, for no extra charge. He even made right a Pentax ME Super, which had been worked on by some ham-handed fool, (whose use of super glue made the work more difficult), and charged me just the standard CLA price.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin