Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,649   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon AE-1 Program has died...

I think the shutter is slipping. When I advance the film, I can hear the shutter( mirror?) operating...like I have taken a picture. Is it worth fixing do y'all think? Or should I give it and all of my FD lenses up?I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks.

Heartsick, Nikki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't give up the lens...just find another AE-1 or A1 and keep going..at today's prices you can find an F-1 for the price you may have paid for a new AE-1.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Has it ever been serviced? Doesn't sound like anything a good CLA wouldn't take care of.
    Last edited by GaussianNoise; 03-06-2005 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    Have you have it serviced - ever? Doesn't sound like anything a good CLA wouldn't take care of.
    No I haven't had it serviced. Its been well taken care of by me for the last year but I don't know what happened to it or how it was taken care of for the first 20 years. Fixing it might cost $200 I'm just not sure if it's not better to just buy another Canon A-series or just sell out to autofocus completely... I'm in the middle of a photography class too!

Sorry I just miserable over the whole thing.

Thanks for your input.

Nikki

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, I guess it depends on how much you have invested in FD glass, your emotional investment in this particular camera body and how you feel about autofocus but, I've had a bunch of 35mm gear serviced over the years and $200 sounds like a little too much to pay to have it fixed (especially if all it needs is a CLA).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    try contacting Karl Aimo at AE1REPAIR@aol.com. He's a retired Canon service technician. Very reasonable, prompt, and honest. If you send him your camera, he'll contact you with pricing. I've sent him 2 ae1p's in the last year for CLA/shutter squeal/mirror foam replacement. Both were under $80 and are now like new.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend handed me an AE-1P three days ago with the opposite problem, shutter won't fire, so I've researched this in the last couple of days.

The AE-1 has a shutter release that has a permanent magnet holding the release mechanism. To fire the camera, current is put through electromagnetic coil around the permanent magnet when the shutter release button is pressed. This cancels the field of the permanent magnet and the shutter mechanism is released. The common problems are that the permanent magnet fails, or the capacitor in this circuit fails, or there is a short or dirty contact in the circuit. Sounds like your permanent magnet is too weak to hold the release mechanism or there is a short that charges the electromagnetic coil as soon as the shutter is cocked. Simply removing the bottom plate, which is easy to do, will let you watch the mechanism.

I've seen people advertizing this repair for something on the order of $80. No parts are available from Canon (from what I've read), so you'll need to rob the magnet from another body, or perhaps replace the capacitor, or clean the switch contacts in the circuit.

I found a free AE-1 repair manual online a few days ago. Can't recall where, and it's too big to email or post. You could Google for it. It has instructions for diagnostic tests and for repair procedures, including disassembly/reassembly. I'll append a URL if I find the source later.

Lee

Eureka!

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

There are several AE-1P publications here, including a parts list, general repair manual, and a troubleshooting guide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FD or EF? F1 or EOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [...]
    ... I'm just not sure if it's not better to just buy another Canon A-series or just sell out to autofocus completely... I'm in the middle of a photography class too!

Sorry I just miserable over the whole thing.
    [...]

For a number of years, I was out of photography. When I was last "in", it was the mid-eighties, there was no autofocus, and the 35mm gear I used was US Navy Canon F1s and FD lenses.

When I got back into photography about ten years later, everything had gone autofocus (or so it seemed) and auto-exposure. When I started doing it professionally again, I got a couple of Canon EOS-1n sets and EF lenses.

My wife prefers to shoot autofocus, but if it werent' for that fact, I'd trade all my EOS & EF gear for a nice F1 and FD equivalents.

Before you decide, you might want to give this site a skim:

The Autofocus Problems Page
    Think that if you just switch your AF camera to manual focus it's as good as having a manual focus camera? Expect anything close to the rated resolution of your lens when using Autofocus? You might think different after spending some time at this site:

http://medfmt.8k.com/third/af.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet

<snip>
    Before you decide, you might want to give this site a skim:

The Autofocus Problems Page
    Think that if you just switch your AF camera to manual focus it's as good as having a manual focus camera? Expect anything close to the rated resolution of your lens when using Autofocus? You might think different after spending some time at this site:

http://medfmt.8k.com/third/af.html
    This is interesting info. The data confirms what many have intuitively known from the start.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    FD compatible bodies are cheap and plentiful in general. If you're heavily invested in FD lenses, consider looking into another body like a New F-1.

Sending it to Karl Aimo is a good suggestion. There are a few standard shutter problems with A-series Canon's, and someone like Karl Aimo who has done hundreds of these should be able to fix it quickly and affordably.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin