Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 773

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For years the only lens on my F3 HP was the 35 1.4 I feel it is an incredible lens, have not noticed any distortion, on this camera it has become my normal.....it is mainly used for black and white and street and bar scene documentary etc. I also have the above mentioned 105 and the 24 2.8. all classics in my estimation. I recently bought from Christian Olivet another F3 so on one I carry the 35 and the other the 105 and the 24 rides in my pocket, by the way-those old Pentax lenses are a good bargain and quite awesome and can be had on e bay for a song. I still use a 50 1.4 I purchased in the 70's and still use it on my original spotmatic I bought at that time.....you can get some rare earth glass....put a geiger counter on those lenses and tell me what you hear!

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pelerin,
    You're probably right about the 24mm f2. My friend has a 50mm f2 on his F2a and I have the 50mm f1.4 on my F3 and the difference in brightness is well worth the extra cost. I'll save up for the 24 f2. By the way, you never told us your favorites.

Dave Wooten,
    I was also thinking about a 35mm. Maybe that will be the following purchase.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    For years the only lens on my F3 HP was the 35 1.4 I feel it is an incredible lens, have not noticed any distortion, on this camera it has become my normal.....it is mainly used for black and white and street and bar scene documentary etc. I also have the above mentioned 105 and the 24 2.8. all classics in my estimation. I recently bought from Christian Olivet another F3 so on one I carry the 35 and the other the 105 and the 24 rides in my pocket, by the way-those old Pentax lenses are a good bargain and quite awesome and can be had on e bay for a song. I still use a 50 1.4 I purchased in the 70's and still use it on my original spotmatic I bought at that time.....you can get some rare earth glass....put a geiger counter on those lenses and tell me what you hear!

Dave in Vegas
    Dave, I agree with you about the older Pentax lenes. I have a few and have always thought them to be a very well kept secret. I bought the Nikon in a moment of panic when my well loved Pentax KX was in for an overhaul and the technician's initial prognosis was less than heartning. The KX survived and is as good as new...

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have always coonsidered the Pentax spotmatic and the Mx to be classics....the spotmatic was my first good camera and I used in in the streets of Chicago for many years in the early 70's....Got a Nikon F and it was actually to tiring to hold .... when the MX came out I bought one and still have it....I find those lenses very sharp and excellent for color...when the F3 came out I got it and love it...I still use the pentax and the Nikon weekly for street stuff and for some model portfolios etc... I agree the Pentax stuff is a well kept secret...I believe they were in the forfront in pioneering rare earth glass...some of the Russian lenses also, i believe the ones with L/D on the lenses, maybe the professor can give the cyrillic on that or an update. I like finding and using these old lenses...many of them are pristine and I feel Image quality is unsurpassed. Just got a 50 1.8 for 27.00..

Hey Dave shut up..this is about Nikon...which I will never part with..would

Hey Jim it is 80 degrees down here, Mom is putting in her tomatoes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nobody's going very wide. If you count "currently available" as being in the KEH listing, try the 20 (2.8 or 3.5), 35/1.4, 85/2 and 180/2.8. Ought to squeeze in under the $1200 barrier and leave room for a backup FE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Owning or having owned them I'd pick the following:
    2/28mm for its nice angle ov view, sharpness and outstanding flare-resistance.
    1,2/50mm AIS for its speed and nice bokeh (compared to the 1,8/50mm and 1,4/50mm AIS). In my opinion it is Nikons best available light lens for portraits and definetely underrated. 2,8/55mm for its versatility, resolution, and flat field. Lenses between 55 and 135mm see litle use in my hands.

Crossing the borders set in the initial post I would add the 2,8/180mm AF-N which is a very nice and sharp lens which handles well even on the smaller manual bodies. At times I still regret I sold this one.
    Last edited by skahde; 04-02-2005 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikkor 24mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 & non-AI 105mm f/2.5

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, after two solid weeks on the road with the following kit, I can say that the Nikkor 28mm, f/2.8 is now my absolute favorite lens for the miniature format. Truely, this is an amazing lens!

Nikon FM3a
    Nikon FA
    Nikkor 28mm, f/2.8 AIS
    Nikkor 50mm, f/1.8 AIS
    Nikkor 105mm, f/2.5 AIS

The FM3A was always loaded with color print film (Fuji Reala) and the FA loaded with Tri-X. I basically used the 50mm as a body cap for which ever body I wasn't currently shooting. I very quickly fell in love / awe with the 28/2.8. It made more than 90% of the photos I made/took on the trip. The 105mm got the call on about 7% of the shots and is also a very, very sweet piece of glass. I think it will find much use now that I'm closer to home.

Special thanks to Mongo for his persuasive arguments in favor of the 28/2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    Nikkor 28mm, f/2.8 AIS
    Nikkor 50mm, f/1.8 AIS
    Nikkor 105mm, f/2.5 AIS
    What a...very familiar...set of lenses!
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    Special thanks to Mongo for his persuasive arguments in favor of the 28/2.8.
    I'm very happy I could help...and happier that the lens has worked so well for you. (The three lenses you listed above are used for at least 90% of the shots on my FE2 - basically everything but macro work - and I could not be happier with them.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to see your choices agree with you!

I'm late to join this thread, but here goes.

I own 24/2.8 and I love it, a very nice perfomer.
    Also have a very old 55/3.5 Micro and I don't know how I could do without a real Micro lens now that I finally got around to getting one. Should have taken the plunge years ago ...

Have used the 20/2.8 and I keep my eyes out for one at the right price on the used market, but most owners seem to like them as much as I do.

Saw a 105/2.5 at a camera market last month, was tempted but passed it up. Have regulalrly kicked myself ever since. It's always the way

So my list is:
    24/2.8 (or 20/2.8)
    55/3.5 Micro (faster would be nice)
    105/2.5

Glenn

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin