Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,608   Online: 1147

Thread: Step-Up Rings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Step-Up Rings

I've been shooting a Bronica ETRSi for a few years and have a set of 62mm filters. Now I have been given a Nikon FM and would like to get a 52mm to 62mm step-up ring so I can use my filters on the Nikon lenses. I see there is a wide range available, from "no-name" brands for $4 to Heliopan at $31.50. I'm seeking opinions as to whether it's worth going for more expensive rings, or if the cheaper ones are equally good.

The one thing I do note is that all the rings except those from Heliopan are made from Aluminium. The Heliopan ring is made from brass. The filters I have are all B&W, which have brass rings to prevent galling. Surprisingly even the B&W step-up rings are Aluminum! Does this justify the higher cost of the brass Heliopan step-up ring?

Thanks for your help!
    Bronica ETRSi, Nikon F3 and FM.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, yes and no. No question that your aluminium will bind and you will curse yourself when you wish to change them, unless you have a set for each filter.
    But if you work at it the rings can always be worked free so it is doable.
    If you are getting just one set and your frustration index is low, get a brass one.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most of my LF lenses are fitted with step up rings so that I can standardise on 58mm filters - These are all aluminium and I have yet to have any problem with galling or binding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ditto what Paul says. I understanf the theoretical advantage of brass and the occasional "horror" stories of aluminum but never had that problem in 40 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Step-Up Rings

Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Most of my LF lenses are fitted with step up rings so that I can standardise on 58mm filters - These are all aluminium and I have yet to have any problem with galling or binding.
    I have done this in the past to put what was once called (may still be) Series Vlll Sunshade on a 203 mm Ektar that was Series Vl. It went like this: Vl to Vll step-up ring, then Vll to Vlll step-up ring and then the sunshade which could hold my series Vlll filters in place...It worked.....Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the aluminium are reasonable quality Andrew I can't see any reason to buy the brass ones, I suggest you try one of the aluminium ones they should be O.K.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all your informative replies. The summary is that there's no real need to pay more for a brass step-up ring.
    Bronica ETRSi, Nikon F3 and FM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you like, you could rub a bit of wax(ski,floor,canning) on the threads of the adapter too. It's funny how much smoother they are to screw on.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If you like, you could rub a bit of wax(ski,floor,canning) on the threads of the adapter too. It's funny how much smoother they are to screw on.

Yes, I've taken to putting about three or four small swipes across the threads with the butt end of a birthday cake candle (handiest source of wax nearby). Place them at equal intervals around the circumference and screwing/unscrewing works the wax in.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin