Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,680   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

versatile zoom lens for my nikon FE

What do you think about the zoom lens Sigma 28-105/2,8-4,0 AF Aspherical?
    I own a Nikon FE with a excellent nikkor 28mm f2,8 lens but I feel limited in my possibilities since I want to begin to make portraits and travel photography. I need a versatile and bright lens but I don't need the AF. Any suggestion? (I can't afford too much money, my top is about 200 $)
    Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want to make portraits, consider the AI/AIS 105mm f/2.5 lens. It's one of the sharpest lenses you can buy and excellent for portraits. And you should be able to find it used for less than USD200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    If you want to make portraits, consider the AI/AIS 105mm f/2.5 lens.[snip]USD200.
    The 105 2.5 is legendary. If you are just shooting B&W, consider the non-ai. Use your handheld meter. Its small and compact. Also, the 100 series E is soooo underatted. People love to read marketing material and base their pictures on it.

I have a book from 1975 called "The Nikon Image". Everything shot with 70's lenses and Kodachrome II and some Ektachrome. One would think that the photos are new cause the shots are awesome. There is abosolutely nothing wrong with getting a 105 from this era.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Eric makes a good point about the non-AI lens. I think you lose some of the metering capability, but you should be able to work around that easily.

In any case, you certainly won't be disappointed by the results.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sigma's are good lenses, I own two, a 17-35mm and a 105mm f 2.8. Both lenses are quite sharp. The 17-35 I found is a great lens for travel photography since it covers most of the range needed for shooting in the city. I don't think you can get either under $200, but you could try eBay.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the non-AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5. And it's legendary status, is well deserved. Love it!

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adrian

Many Sigma lenses are good, the 28-105 f2.8-4 ASPH is NOT one of them. My Dad has one for his F801s and never uses it, it's so bad!
    Add the 105mm to your bag that the others recommend and a 50 f1.8, you will not regret it.

Julian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    don't be scared of the 85/2 either. Sometimes it gets a bad rap but I think it's unjustified. At f2 it may be junk (I don't use it at that for portraits!) but at f4 to f5.6 it's good... I have 2 105/2.5s (Ai and Ais) so can compare. The 85 shouldl be a lot cheaper.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Kiron 28-105 f/3.2-4.5, is very well built, and very sharp. Also, the Vivitar Series 1 28-90, is a fantastic lens.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    Let me throw in another. The nikon 35-105. Gives a little more versitility, and I used one for years. Sharp lens and built like a tank. I love the 105, but I was often shooting in some pretty tight corners and had to shoot tight head shots and full body shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin