Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,676   Online: 830

Shooter
    Multi Format

Minolta-Konica-Konica/Minolta-Sony et al

I've been a "Minolta Man" since my first purchase in 1964. I've owned many and still do.

So I was killing some time looking around on EBay at Minolta "stuff" and saw a listing for a film camera branded Konica-Minolta. I know in its last days of agony Minolta was acquired/merged with Konia, probably driven from the copier side of each business not from the camera side. I was not aware there was ever a camera labeled Konica/Minolta.

When end looking at some of the late Konica and Minolta cameras, entering into the digital stuff here, I also see Sony mentioned frequently, particularly in the area of lens mounts.

i hope some knows about the fit and variations of these different mounts. I of course know about the Minolta bayonet mount; MC and MD lenses; the the AF line. But, what about Konica, and what fits what; and then the Sony mount?

Comments, please. And thanks in advance!

Speed Gray, K8SG
    Grand Rapids, MI

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the poor grammar; I didn't proofread!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Others will certainly weigh in here, but from some of my readings, Konica and Minolta merged in around 2003 (?), and sputtered out in 2006-ish, having released a couple of digital cameras based on the Minolta Dimage series, and a scanner or two. They then sold their camera assets and technology to Sony, who used them as the basis for their subsequent models. So, in a way, a Sony camera is a Minolta.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sony's DSLRs use the Minolta AF lens mount, sometimes called Konica-Minolta mount. AFAIK you can fit the lens from a Minolta 7000 to whatever the top Sony Alpha is, which is why Minolta AF lenses are likely to cost more than their older products.

A friend of mine has what was the top Sony Alpha body about six years ago, and used an old Minolta AF zoom from their film SLR on it for ages.
    Matt

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sony is moving away from DSLR with the A or Alpha mount a new their mirror less system.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The ebay listing for a Konica-Minolta branded camera was probably one of the early digitals, such as the Maxxum (Dynax) 7D. I could be wrong, but I bet I'm not.

I have and use the Sony a850 and have 4 Minolta AF primes and one zoom. No new glass, such as Sony's nice, but expensive Zeiss products. I bought the Sony dSLR precisely because I was already a Maxxum user, and had an existing stable of lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm in the same boat as David above. I have Sony DSLR's simply because of my minolta gear.

I also think David is right. I can't recall ever seeing a Konica-Minolta film camera. I believe that they only ever branded digital cameras.

As for lenses and SLR Film cameras, my understanding is:

Manual Focus - MC and MD lenses only
    Auto Focus - AF and Sony Alpha lenses with screw drive focus mechanisms. Lenses with the focus motor built will fit, but won't auto-focus. MC/MD lenses will not fit.
    Late Model 5,7 - same as auto focus, but they will work with all Sony Alpha lenses. If you are lucky, some Minolta 9's were also modified to take these lenses. If you ever find one of these cameras, snap it up!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Got it!

Thanks for all the quick replies. I think I have an understanding now of the evolution of the Minolta lens line, and how the Sony thing fits. I appreciate everyone's time.

Speed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin