Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,964   Posts: 1,632,445   Online: 909

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: which 50mm?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

which 50mm?

hi there,
    i want to buy my first film camera... and i chose it yet
    But i need to buy a 50mm also.
    I'm going to have a nikon body, and i don't want to spend more of 250 $ (used or new)....
    which 50mm you all recommend me as quality/price?
    i saw the 50mm 1.8 af-d, it's just cost 100$. But if i'll choose a better 50 i'll see the difference?

thanks so much
    seba

p.s. sorry for my spaghetti-english

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me 50mm is rather very boring focal length. I personally went with 28/35mm for wides and 28mm is the only focal length I used when shooting in Italy and 85/100mm for portraits.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mr/Ms Pasta (spaghetti English): Your English is just fine.

A '50' for a Nikon means getting a Nikon lens, unless you find one of those Russian 50s that will also mount (as they made SLRs with that mount). WHICH lens you want is determined by what you want to occur with your SLR. If you take the easy (piu facile) route and get a Nikkormat you will not have automation but you will be able to use any Nikon lens, old prong-type or newer AIS type, without any problems (other than meter readings with other than 'prong' type lenses).

In recession-prone Europe you should be able to buy a working Nikkormat body for less than 30 Euros. The Nikon lenses are quite expensive, however, and, where 50s for Minoltas, Pentaxes, Canon (FD), etc can be had in the USA for $10 to $20, the cheapest Nikon (Series E) would be maybe $40. Thus, with the exchange rate as it is, that 1.8/50 Series E would cost you about 30 Euros. It is a VERY sharp lens. I promise you that you will not see a difference in image quality. If you need to use the (working?) meter, however, in that Nikkormat, you will have to get an older 'prong' type lens that meshes with the protruding, moving lever at the top of the camera mount area. (Set the lens at f5.6 to allow the connection to occur.)

Of course you could consider other than a Nikon body: the other brands I just named are as reputable as is Nikon.

With regard to baachitraka's comment: Choosing a focal length is determined by both personal desire and need. A '50' might be 'boring' to many but that is the focal length used in the vast majority of photos; it imparts a normal perspective on what you are viewing. I would use a '50' as a standard and then deviate from that as the need manifested.

Nella vita a volte ci sono troppe scelte. (Io sono la metÓ della Sardegna. I miei nonni materni erano di lý.) - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 12-17-2014 at 08:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you buy a manual focus Nikon body the old Nikon f2 50mm is a superb lens an usually the cheapest Nikon 50mm. It's also reputed to be one of the best Nikon lenses. If you buy a pre-ai Body like a Nikkormat Ft2, a Nikon F or F2 pre-ai lenses are even cheaper than the ai lenses and the build is par none. My first choice would again be the Nikon f2 50mm. The Nikon E Series does not have a meter coupling prong and can't be used with pre ai bodies.

Regarding boring focal length there is no such thing one can make good non boring photographs with any focal length from 8mm to 1000mm the problem is the capabilities of the guy behind the viewfinder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The Nikon E Series does not have a meter coupling prong and can't be used with pre ai bodies.
    Just an addendum to your quote, MDR: The Series E CAN be used with ANY Nikon body. It is true that there will be no meter coupling with older Nikons but, optically, all will be well. Some older Nikkormats do not have working meters. (I was trying to be the most cost-effective here.) - David Lyga

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    For me 50mm is rather very boring focal length. I personally went with 28/35mm for wides and 28mm is the only focal length I used when shooting in Italy and 85/100mm for portraits.
    i like to take photo of landscape... and i know that a lower lent would be better... but i want to try the famous 50 before to buy other lens (and i think that 50mm is one of the lenses less expensive... then.. why not? )
    p.s. for my d7000 i have a 35mm then i "know" as the 50mm is in fullframe

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Mr/Ms Pasta (spaghetti English): Your English is just fine.

A '50' for a Nikon means getting a Nikon lens, unless you find one of those Russian 50s that will also mount (as they made SLRs with that mount). WHICH lens you want is determined by what you want to occur with your SLR. If you take the easy (piu facile) route and get a Nikkormat you will not have automation but you will be able to use any Nikon lens, old prong-type or newer AIS type, without any problems (other than meter readings with other than 'prong' type lenses).

In recession-prone Europe you should be able to buy a working Nikkormat body for less than 30 Euros. The Nikon lenses are quite expensive, however, and, where 50s for Minoltas, Pentaxes, Canon (FD), etc can be had in the USA for $10 to $20, the cheapest Nikon (Series E) would be maybe $40. Thus, with the exchange rate as it is, that 1.8/50 Series E would cost you about 30 Euros. It is a VERY sharp lens. I promise you that you will not see a difference in image quality. If you need to use the (working?) meter, however, in that Nikkormat, you will have to get an older 'prong' type lens that meshes with the protruding, moving lever at the top of the camera mount area. (Set the lens at f5.6 to allow the connection to occur.)

Of course you could consider other than a Nikon body: the other brands I just named are as reputable as is Nikon.

With regard to baachitraka's comment: Choosing a focal length is determined by both personal desire and need. A '50' might be 'boring' to many but that is the focal length used in the vast majority of photos; it imparts a normal perspective on what you are viewing. I would use a '50' as a standard and then deviate from that as the need manifested.

Nella vita a volte ci sono troppe scelte. (Io sono la metÓ della Sardegna. I miei nonni materni erano di lý.) - David Lyga
    thanks for your answer... i want to buy a fm2... i fell in love with it.
    And then i have a nikon d7000 and the great thing is nikkon that i can use the lens in every body (obviously with the limitations... mf vs af, and the new lens g).
    i'm looking for the best quality with human cost (for me... is 200/250$ for 50mm).
    As I said, i especially like to take photo of landscape, but sometimes i like to take photo of portraits, but just sometimes. if you want to see "my photographic genre" in my signs i have my flickr's link".

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    If you buy a manual focus Nikon body the old Nikon f2 50mm is a superb lens an usually the cheapest Nikon 50mm. It's also reputed to be one of the best Nikon lenses. If you buy a pre-ai Body like a Nikkormat Ft2, a Nikon F or F2 pre-ai lenses are even cheaper than the ai lenses and the build is par none. My first choice would again be the Nikon f2 50mm. The Nikon E Series does not have a meter coupling prong and can't be used with pre ai bodies.

Regarding boring focal length there is no such thing one can make good non boring photographs with any focal length from 8mm to 1000mm the problem is the capabilities of the guy behind the viewfinder.
    thanks... i'll buy a nikon fm2, then you think that nikkor 50 f2 is the best buy for my budget? versione E?
    thank you

seba

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry David you are of course right I just thought he wanted to use a meter which often works despite the cameras old Age. The Nikkormat FS is the exception It's also my Observation that it's easier to find a non series E lens than an E lens in Europe the E lens is usually attached to the lens cap called EM.

Pazifico the E-Series if you can find one does fit the FM2 the pre-ai 2/50mm lenses can be used with stop down metering. The 2/50 was made in ai and that's the Version you want for the FM2. The Nikon FM2 is often sold with the succesor of the f2/50 the 1.8/50mm the lenses are about equal with maybe a very very slight edge to the f2 Version but you will never see the difference outside of an optical lab.

Good luck and have fun with your future Investment/toy
    Last edited by MDR; 12-17-2014 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pazifico View Post
    hi there,
    i want to buy my first film camera... and i chose it yet
    But i need to buy a 50mm also.
    I'm going to have a nikon body, and i don't want to spend more of 250 $ (used or new)....
    which 50mm you all recommend me as quality/price?
    i saw the 50mm 1.8 af-d, it's just cost 100$. But if i'll choose a better 50 i'll see the difference?

thanks so much
    seba

Hi Pazifico,

If you are going to buy a MANUAL FOCUS Nikon Camera then don't buy the 50/1.8 AF-D (autofocus) lens. Because it is not very confortable to use an autofocus lens on a manual focus camera.

As for the lenses, **all** nikon 50-58mm lenses are sharp and good. If you want a suggestion, choose the 50 f2 nikkor or the 50mm f1.8 AI nikkor.

My personal favorite is a very rare lens, the pre-AI 5.8cm f1.4 Nikkor-S

Note that you NEED to know the differences between a "pre-AI" and an "AI" lens, to be able to know which lens suits your camera best.

If you don't go for Nikon you may want to go for the Canon FD system since lenses are cheap and as good (or better) than the Nikkor lenses. In particular the Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC lens is extremely good, probably designed specifically to beat the contemporary Nikkor (Nikkor-S 50/1.4, another of my favorite lenses).
    Last edited by flavio81; 12-17-2014 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    This Nikkor lens is so good... that it should be labeled as a Canon lens!

Shooter
    35mm
    Generally the f1.7/f1.8 "standard" 50mm lenses were all excellent performers. They were aimed at the mass market but the manufacturers didn't cut corners.

That's also why they're the most common and cheapest. Pretty much every SLR sold until the zoom era came with a 50mm lens, and there are millions of broken SLRs with perfectly good lenses out there. Demand is therefore outstripped by supply!

You'll probably find that 28mm and 135mm primes are also easy enough to come by, but other focal lengths aren't so common. 28-50-135 was the standard three lens kit people were advised to buy. I too like the field of view of a 35mm lens but they're certainly not as plentiful as 28mm lenses.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pazifico View Post
    Thanks all

i like to take photo of landscape... and i know that a lower lent would be better... but i want to try the famous 50 before to buy other lens (and i think that 50mm is one of the lenses less expensive... then.. why not? )
    p.s. for my d7000 i have a 35mm then i "know" as the 50mm is in fullframe

thanks for your answer... i want to buy a fm2... i fell in love with it.
    And then i have a nikon d7000 and the great thing is nikkon that i can use the lens in every body (obviously with the limitations... mf vs af, and the new lens g).
    i'm looking for the best quality with human cost (for me... is 200/250$ for 50mm).
    As I said, i especially like to take photo of landscape, but sometimes i like to take photo of portraits, but just sometimes. if you want to see "my photographic genre" in my signs i have my flickr's link".

thanks... i'll buy a nikon fm2, then you think that nikkor 50 f2 is the best buy for my budget? versione E?
    thank you

seba
    There are two series E

ugly sister
    Cinderella

same optics

don't worry you will know which one you are looking at.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin