Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,687   Online: 727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is this flash for?

Any value at all?

thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1261.JPG   DSC_1262.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's for a Polaroid camera, judging by what comes back when I search "ITT Magicflash". Not sure which model though.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid SX-70

An Ebay search under sold listings came up with around $15.00 to $25.00 for just the flash.
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

"It is better to travel well than to arrive." - Buddha

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not for the primary SX-70 model but for the SX-70 One-Step I guess.

Got some accessory electronic flashes for cameras from the SX-70 family but so far did come across this one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The electronic connector looks right for a Polaroid but the mounting bracket looks different than the one I have. Maybe it attaches to the viewfinder instead of the sides of the camera. The one I have for a One-Step SX-70 is a different make.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because of that diopter frame I guess it is designed for those One-Step models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I will put it on ebay for 1 euro start, just to see if somebody wants it. Not sure how I can test it (don't have the camera) - but it does charge with specific sound and ready light comes up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably by shorting two of the pins on the edge connector, but unless you can find a pinout I wouldn't try it. I'd guess that the other ones are for things like a "flash ready" signal to the camera, and shorting pins at random could easily damage something.

Just say in the listing that it powers up and the flash ready light comes on, but you can't test further. If it was a flash I wanted then I'd risk buying on that description.
    Matt

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Basically you are right on the red light not telling the whole story.
    My experience though showed that consumer flashes are robust. But even with for instance a built-in flash lighting up, one still often does not know if its output is right (for not knowing its guide number).

I also learned that with used stuff often things are broken you not even thought of.

Concerning shortening contacts:
    that electronic flash is not triggered by shortcircuiting, but by electrical impuls from the camera.

I thought it over again: I'm meanwhile quite sure that it is not for a One-Shot, not even for a Polaroid camera. I got an idea though.
    I bought it from Darco. Maybe I can tell more once I got it.

There are too many camera models around. And too many accessories. Time for surprises.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-18-2014 at 11:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Puzzle solved:

Yes, it is for a model "One Step" /"1000" camera.

Fits fine and works fine!

I became doubtful as fitting that flash, seen that photograph, would necessitate to take off that rubber cup at the eyepiece. Not likely for a consumer flash.
    So I thought of a Berkey camera as it got no rubber Cup, but still a rectangular eypiece.

But it turned out that the flash had no rectangular ring to fasten it, but a bracket (difference not visible in the photo) to clip on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin