Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,328   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a backup body to R8

Hello!

I've got a Leica R8 which I adore and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd body both as backup and for loading different film.

I can't stretch the budget to a R9 so the options are either another R8 or to go for something older like an R4. Considering I can get a R4s for under £100 (vs £300 for another R8) would that be a sensible backup body? Particularly:

1 how would the viewfinder compare, I love the brightness and clarity of the R8
    2 is the R4s a good body or am I just buying trouble (dodgy electronics, etc)
    3 I currently have a 3-cam 35 Summicron and a 50mm Summicron-ROM (ie 3rd cam only). Can these be used ok with bodies other than the R8/9.

Thanks!
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your 3-cam lens will work on all the Leica SLRs, including the pre-R models. The 3rd cam ROM lens will work on all the R bodies, but not the pre-R bodies. My personal choice for a backup camera would be the R6/6.2 since they are all mechanical (except for the light meter and TTL flash) so if it's left unused for a couple of years you don't have to worry that the batteries will be flat when you need it. They're rather more expensive than the R4S, though.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leicaflex SL?
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    1 how would the viewfinder compare, I love the brightness and clarity of the R8
    2 is the R4s a good body or am I just buying trouble (dodgy electronics, etc)
    3 I currently have a 3-cam 35 Summicron and a 50mm Summicron-ROM (ie 3rd cam only). Can these be used ok with bodies other than the R8/9.

Thanks!
    1. dimmer with higher magnification
    2. if it still works it should be fine
    3. 3-cam works on Leicaflex to R9 (with some exceptions for some focal lengths), 3rd cam only is limited to R4-R9.

Get another R8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    Your 3-cam lens will work on all the Leica SLRs, including the pre-R models. The 3rd cam ROM lens will work on all the R bodies, but not the pre-R bodies. My personal choice for a backup camera would be the R6/6.2 since they are all mechanical (except for the light meter and TTL flash) so if it's left unused for a couple of years you don't have to worry that the batteries will be flat when you need it. They're rather more expensive than the R4S, though.
    Thanks, I thought about the R6/6.2 but they cost pretty much the same as the R8 so I might as well get the R8 and have two of the same. Obviously one will be black and the other chrome
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Leicaflex SL?
    I discounted the SLs as I have a ROM lens so I don't want to get into compatibility issues.

Shooter
    35mm
    The R6.2 that I'm selling

Yes, the R6.2 is expensive but is also the best of the Rs. If you can find a good one at a good price, take it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    1. dimmer with higher magnification
    2. if it still works it should be fine
    3. 3-cam works on Leicaflex to R9 (with some exceptions for some focal lengths), 3rd cam only is limited to R4-R9.

Get another R8.
    Yeah I'm kind of leaning toward the R8 option, it's just that £200 price difference I keep thinking about...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    The R6.2 that I'm selling

Yes, the R6.2 is expensive but is also the best of the Rs. If you can find a good one at a good price, take it.
    Unfortunately the R6.2 in the UK is generally more expensive than the R8! Unless you are selling at a very good price

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chrome R8 it was in the end!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin