Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,719   Posts: 1,670,013   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon Elan 7 strange issue when battery power is low

Hi all!

I wanted to write about an issue I experienced couple of days ago with my Canon Elan 7. I had a roll of 36 exposures in it and the battery run out of power just after I pressed the shutter to expose frame number 12. The shutter closed properly, but the film did not advance to the next frame and the camera went off completely. I changed batteries immediately, but all I got was the frame number on the LCD constantly blinking and the camera was unusable. I tried everything possible button or switch, but the only thing that worked was the mid-roll rewind. So more than half of the roll was left unexposed and I did not have a lead retriever with me. I was wondering if any of you experienced anything similar and if you know a way to bring the camera back to proper functioning in this situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try changing the batteries again.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    |Check the actual battery voltage with as multimeter before you install it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Try changing the batteries again.
    Did that about five times. Also tried another new pair of batteries. Did not help. But I could not check the voltage. I just know that only after the mid-roll rewind with the new fully charged batteries the camera was back to normal.
    Not that it bothers me so much, but it would be good to understand what happened and how to unjam the camera without having to rewind the non-exposed film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    Did that about five times. Also tried another new pair of batteries. Did not help. But I could not check the voltage. I just know that after the mid-roll rewind with the new fully charged batteries the camera was back to normal.
    I think that this is different from your initial post.

As I read the manual, you should expect to have to rewind the film in order to "reset" the camera when the batteries die mid-roll.

I think that opening the back of the camera is what causes it to reset.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I see. Sorry if the first post was not clear. I was surprised by the behavior of the camera, since it happened to me several times to have the batteries run out mid-roll and just changing them brought everything back to normal. This is the first time I was actually forced to rewind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro35 View Post
    I see. Sorry if the first post was not clear. I was surprised by the behavior of the camera, since it happened to me several times to have the batteries run out mid-roll and just changing them brought everything back to normal. This is the first time I was actually forced to rewind.
    I would guess that in those previous cases there was enough left in the batteries to advance the film before and re-cock the shutter before the camera shut down due to low batteries.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    That might have actually been the case if I remember right. Well, it is good this is normal and there is nothing wrong with the camera. Now I know how to prevent it. Thank you!

Shooter
    35mm

Canon Elan 7 strange issue when battery power is low

I believe an Elan 7 is the same as an EOS 30, and I have one so I might help.

In the darkroom just open the camera and manually rewind the film. Then when just the leader is out turn the lights back on, put your film inside the camera normally and shoot with the cap still on the lens (the purpose here is to not re-expose the existing photos) until you're on the right frame. There is a system that counts the sprocket holes on this camera so you'll be precisely on the next frame to the one you shot before if the frame number you remember is right.

(if you enable the feature that leaves the leader out when the camera rewinds the film, you can change films anytime you want instead of having to finish each roll of film before shooting another. You just have to remember the frame position when you put the film back in the camera to not make unintentional double exposures or empty frames)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you! I think I will keep the custom function to leave the leader out enabled at all times. Very often I am out photographing and do not have a darkroom at hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin